Outerbanks Treasure? (North Carolina)

C

cjillianne

Im staying in avon for the week, and im new to metal detecting. Are there any really good places to try? Lastnight i found a quarter and a piece of a penny, but im looking for old stuff.

Is it better to search in the surf or the sand by the dunes? Does anyone know if metal detecting is prohibited?
I called the park service and they said- have a blast, but this "know it all"with us told me its illegal....

Kindest regards,
Jill

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
If the park service said "have a blast", well... go and have a blast! Be sure you recall which office gave you the go ahead in case you get asked. Be sure and fill in your holes and don't make a mess, that means the next person to ask will be told "NO!" Packing out all the trash you find is good ettiquette, too. Sandy beaches are a heck of alot easier than parks as far as the mess goes, no lawn to replace.... ;)

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
don't hunt on the sand dunes that is illegal stay closer to the beach.The sand dunes is what helps during hurricanes and helps beach grasses to grow to help with hurricanes too.

OP
OP
C

cjillianne

I wouldnt have it any other way. The person didnt sign the email, he just responded. it was through the national park service. I mean, if i find something- i probably would donate it to a museum or something. I just want a story to tell from my vacation.
I found a few sites that say no, others dont prohibit it. You would thing as long as you take away the trash and fill in the holes, they wouldnt have a problem.

Whats the worst they can do? Ask you to leave?

J

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
cjillianne said:
Whats the worst they can do? Ask you to leave?

They can take away your detector and hit you with a fine so make absolutely sure before you do any detecting :P .

PS I am from NC ;D

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Jill south of whale bone junction is usually considered off limits as that starts the national seashore, like spitfire said, they can confiscate your equipment, your vehicle and attach a hefty fine. Everything from jeanettes pier north is considered open though
good luck
dave+bobbie

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Jill, I lived in Buxton for a while, just south of where you're at when I use to surf competively. I was on the crew that Painted the Lighthouse in 1975 for the bicentenial. I have a lot of friends there since I've been going there regularly since 1969.

If you happen to go into Buxton, stop by the Natural Art Surfshop and tell the owner's Scott and Carol, Mike Reny said Hello!!! ;D

Beach Detecting Allowed Detecting Not Allowed

Nags Head North of Oregon Inlet

Kill Devil Hills to Nags Head line

Kitty Hawk Hatteras Island

Southern Shores Ocracoke Island

Duck

Corolla

North to VA. Stateline

Here is a link I think will help you with the area: http://www.outerbanksnc.net/ship.html

HH 8) surfrat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions