Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had coffee with an old time treasure hunter today who once made digging tools to sell as a sideline. He brought me what he calls an "outhouse probe". It has a "T" handle that a 48" steel rod screws into and is designed to probe old filled in outhouse holes for artifactcs, especially for glass bottles. It also has a shorter, about 24" probe that screws into the same T handle and is used for probing the sides of a dug out hole. The steel rod although small diameter is pretty rigid and will easily penetrate the ground, especially where fill dirt has been shoveled in. I suppose it could also be used to probe for objects in old trash dumps, and possibly signals that indicate a cache, etc. He says that after you use it for a while you have no problem telling the makeup of the objects you hit just by feel. It came in a PVC storage tube with one end plugged and a removable cap on the other end. It's a pretty well made little tool and I wonder if anyone still uses them? He said it was all the rage several years ago. Anyway, Just information for those of you that might be searching for such a tool. I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but I think I will take it out to an old ditch dump site I know about and test it out. Monty

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what kind of steel this thing is made of but it is very rigid and springs back straight if bent when shoving it into the ground, maybe spring steel? The probe is threaded into the handle and I find it pretty sensitive, so I suppose it would probably work OK. I don't do much bottle hunting but he insisted I take it. Might give it away in some contest if I can dream one up. Have to keep it long enough so he don't get upset with me. You know how that goes. Monty

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
SWR said:
There are several different manufacturers of bottle probes. You'd be surprised at how large the bottle digging/collecting community is once you get involved. It's a great hobby, and like metal detecting, it can be very lucrative.

I prefer spring-steel with the handle welded when it comes to choice of probe.

Have fun!
How about some names of manufacturers? Better yet, can you put up a few links? What is it actually called in the manufacturers catalogs? I, too used to have one, but it was custom made for me by a machinist. I lost mine a few years back, or I threw it away. Don't recall which. But, I would like a new one. Can I get 5-6 foot length? steven.

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
SWR said:
morbiusandneo said:
How about some names of manufacturers? Better yet, can you put up a few links? What is it actually called in the manufacturers catalogs? I, too used to have one, but it was custom made for me by a machinist. I lost mine a few years back, or I threw it away. Don't recall which. But, I would like a new one. Can I get 5-6 foot length? steven.

There is a TreasureNet member that makes spring steel probes. Check out Bongo1962's site:

http://bongo1962.googlepages.com/home
$65 is a bit rich for me.....Maybe when i get some overtime at work, I'll buy one. Thanks for the link! stvn.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the spur of the moment, I made a light-weight probe from the shaft of an old golf club.
After I cut off the club head, I plugged the open tip with a nylon screw and rounded it with sandpaper. It's lightweight and hasn't broken. . .yet.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Forgot to add that it is alot lighter than the steel probes. easier on your arms and back.

T

TreasureTales

jonnyrebel00 said:
I have used this particular probe searching for water and sewer pipes and it has done me just fine. i wasnt too crazy about it being fiberglass at first but it worked out ok.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/categories/tools/lawn-and-garden/soil-probes-locators

Clay

Please, more details about use in the field. Is it good for all types of soils? Will it splinter after a few years? How long have you owned yours and often do you use it? Does it hold up well? Inquiring minds want to know! And thanks for chiming in with yet another style. This one sounds very promising, to me.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Most of the soil i used it in was either sandy or clayish and it did great in the sand but of course the clay was a bit tougher. Im sure that eventually it will start to splinter but i used the same one for about 3 years or so on an almost daily basis since i was the utility marker and people were always digging. Its not as tough as the steel ones but if you take care of it you wont shouldnt have any problems with it. I dont remember what i used when i lived in No Cal and dont remember the soil so i cant tell u how i think it would do there.

glassdiver

Jan 2, 2007
The Thumb of Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's, Nautilus, Fisher, Garrett
I wore out one of those fiberglass probes in less than a month. I guess it depends on how much probing you do and the soil conditions.
I don't recommend them here in Michigan. They are larger in diameter, too.
I prefer the 3/8" spring steel, to be honest.
Bill

T

TreasureTales

Glassdiver: Did you make your own spring steel probe? Or did you buy it? And if you bought it, where? And how much?

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found one of those fiberglass soil probes lying on the side of the road one day going home from work. When I saw it, did a U turn and retreived it. Now I have two for use as a TH'er gave one some years ago. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread