Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, at 11pm I was running through the house to get stuff ready for bed. I just finished feeding the animals in the barn and taking the dog out, and was running to the kitchen. All of a sudden I felt a bang. I looked at my hands and they were full of blood, pouring everywhere, all over the floor and my clothes. I went through two wash clothes before it stopped I felt my head and started freaking out. I had hit my head right on the sharp wooden 1700's door frame that led you out of the dining room. Old craftsmanship is always great, but unfortunately those old doorways could have probably been a little taller. I laid down in the kitchen, and the family helped clean it and put butterfly bandages onto it to make it stay shut. Luckily it had already pretty much stopped bleeding by the time I laid down though. The urgent care is closed right now, and the ER is way too far away, the wait would be too long, and I would probably come back with a worse problem than before (maybe a horrible stomach bug or flu). I have a bad fear of needles and am pretty scared of stitches too, but will have them if I need too. The cut looks to be around an inch long, right behind my hairline on my forehead. I am also a little bit of a hypochondriac and am now worried of everything from a concussion to a hemorrhage. I am making sure someone wakes me up every two hours tonight in case I have a concussion just to be safe. Anyways, do you guys think that I should be really worried, or is it probably no big deal. Thanks, hope to see a doctor tomorrow. Sorry if my writing seems bad, fragmented, and rambley , I am still in a little bit of shock from this. Thanks guys!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I will pray for you. I fell in the house the other day, on my cat, didn't hurt her but it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to get up. I cannot give medical advice but I have heard drowsiness is a bad sign. Dizziness, throbbing headache, anything like that, go to the ER. ER is probably a good bet in any case. You won't get anything bad at the ER.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take two aspirins and call me in the morning.:headbang:
OK, enough joking around Marvin.
Wow, how tall are you?????????? Hospital emergency service sucks and I try to never go there. Keep the wound clean. Peroxide (H2O2) is a good cleaner. Keep the wound tightly closed if possible. Tomorrow you can decide if further care is needed.
Marvin

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow! That's kind of scary! You've got family to watch you so lucked out there. You said it's above your hairline so you lucked out there. 1" you might be able to get away with the butterflys and globs of Neosporin. Count your blessings!!! My favorite saying is "Sure glad it hit me in the head! Anywhere else would've hurt!" I dislike ERs too! Hate the Urgent Cares! Around here they only have a physicians assistant most of the time & they hand you a script for pain meds & still send you to the ER with an $800 bill in your hand. Sounds like you were very lucky.

You never realize how strong a good piece of quality oak trim is until you smack it with your knoggin? Get better! and let us know how you're doing!

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear about your problems. Reading your comments above does show that you are thinking clearly. Your comments are in a logical order & not a scrambled bunch of words. So I would think that is good news. Still it wouldn’t hurt to check in with a doctor. If not going to drive in to the ER tonight, then see how you feel in the morning & make a decision then. Either way, sorry to hear this. A nasty bump to the head is not fun...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry that happened to you. Good advice above but if things change time to go to the ER.
Definitely see your doctor first thing. Hope it doesn’t need stitches. Good luck!

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looking for a diagnosis on tnet from treasure hunters at midnight ?..... ahhhh I say grab your detector and go on a night hunt cause you can't be hurt that bad if your asking for help from dirty handed th'ers . the bleeding has stopped and if you need a stich or two you can wait until the sun comes up . as a detectorist I say go metal detecting because detecting makes EVERYTHING.....better.....now go to the doctor and get checked out....after you find some silver....ok...

The1rod

Jan 18, 2018
Hudson co
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally hate doctors, so if it were me I would keep it bandaged tight, keep it clean and let it heal. In my opinion, all a doctor will do is help it heal up a little prettier and maybe not scar as much, instead the scar will be on your wallet. And for me my head can afford alot more scars than my wallet!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple and plain you need PROFESSIONAL help. So much could have happened and you not even know it. Like a concussion. We enjoy your you here on Treasurenet to much to see any thing happen to you please go get checked ASAP

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me(I should note it is usually best not to take my advice haha) I would shave the spot to make keeping it clean much easier, then super glue and butterfly bandage that baby shut. Since it is on the head call your home doc and make appt for antibiotics just incase.

This does remind me of when I stitched my buddies face back shut after a car accident. It was a home job cause the stubborn SOB wouldn't go to the hospital. His mom called and asked me to find him and see if I could get him to go to the ER. 5 minutes later I found him at the bar drinking wiskey with a chunk of his face hanging off his chin. Got him to atleast come home and leave the bar but no luck on going to the hospital. In fact his exact words were "your going to sew my face back on or I am":laughing7:. I figured I had a better shot at it than he would trying to do it looking into a mirror.... So I threw some high octane whiskey in a pot with needle and thread and pair of needle nose in it, let it sit 5 minutes then turned it on to boil it. I gave him around 7 stitches to sew a big quarter size flap of his chin back on. The next day at his doctors the nurse was super pissed, gave him a verbal lashing. The doctor came in to see what to do about it and asked if I was a medical student or a veterinarian. Apparently I'm pretty good at lining up and sewing back together flesh, as he said I did a great job and left my stitches in place and sent him home with some antibiotics. haha

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would let a needle stop me from going if you need to, believe me there's a lot worse they can do to you. If you had half the stuff they done to me that little needle and stitches wouldn't even register as a worry at all, hope your fine and don't need to see anybody for it as I don't let them do anything if I can. I don't have much faith in the medical system as they just about killed me but in the end they did save my life, of course if they found out what was going on sooner I wouldn't be in as bad of shape as I'm in now. HH

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear of your injury.
Go to the doctor and pay attention to dizziness or being drowsy. Good luck and I hope it doesn't end up being something serious.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are looking for medical advice from T-netters at midnight then you need to be airlifted to a Trauma Center immediately :laughing7:

Seriously, hope you feel better soon.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can see to type there's not much to be done if it was a concussion. If you lived through the night it's probably all external hemorrhaging. Blurry vision? Get in to a doctor.

Stitches may or may not be needed (too late now) but infection would be a big concern especially if hair was pushed into the cut. Scalp wounds bleed a lot so that's not unusual.
We raised sheep and have a outdoor active dog, so we keep lots of first and second aid provisions at hand. Any number of times I have closed myself up with "Wonder Dust" (a veterinary coagulant and disinfectant with lime, copper sulfate and iodine powder), sulfa powder, silver nitrate (styptic powder) and providone-iodine 5%. I've had three and four inch gashes from equipment that I never had stitched up or looked at.

When I lopped off a finger working with my tractor - that one I got some help with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I went to urgent care in the morning. They said that I probably have a mild concussion due to the symptoms that I was giving them. They closed up to cut with glue, and sent me home telling me to get rest. I still have a mild headache and slight sensitivity to light, but they said that it will probably be fine in a few days. Also, the problem is, I was just getting over a horrible cold when this happened, and had to spend some time determining what was caused by the head injury, and what was from the cold. Thanks for all the help and support guys! I will let you know how I do!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are looking for medical advice from T-netters at midnight then you need to be airlifted to a Trauma Center immediately :laughing7:

Seriously, hope you feel better soon.

Lol!! :laughing7: I was a little bit afraid to go to sleep until around 1 or 2 that night, wanting to check if anything happens in the few hours after I got hurt. What better way to kill time than to go on WebMD and see all the many things that are probably wrong with me, and then see if anyone on TreasureNet can help me!

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should immediately start taking pain meds so it won't hurt to order an XP Deus. No, wait a minute, that was me! Sorry for the confusion. I am almost off them after neck surgery 10 days ago. Oh yeah, the Deus will be here tomorrow, hopefully before the wife gets home from work!

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
man if I worried every time I rammed my head into something solid or every time I fell out the door of my cabin I would be in the emergency room every other day I have taken four spills out the door of my cabin that was not good its about a four foot drop to the ground and its not the fall that hurts its that sudden stop at the bottom I just get up and shake it off and continue on with what I was doing have ran a drill bit through one of my fingers while drilling holes in some project which didn't hurt until I tried to pull it out of the finger it went all the way through my finger nail and was sticking through about an inch I had to put the drill in reverse and back the bit out that was painful,I do not even seek medical advice which is probably not the wisest thing

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinman. Glad to hear you're OK!!!!!!! There's a good idea, take the pain meds & order a Deus. Almost makes me want to lop my toe off again, order a Deus & tell wifey "Jeeze don't know what happened! Must've been the meds. Well, it's opened can't send it back now......" Again, glad to hear you're OK!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread