What's new

PA Stream and River Hunting Legality Questions

RichPA

Full Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
192
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
I noticed there is a forum on legal issues but decided this forum is more appropriate. The legal issues forum contains only posts from persons using metal detectors. It is very hard to find info on PA surface collecting laws.

Pennsylvania allows public use of navigable waterways as long as you remain within the high water mark These navigable waterways include the Ohio River, Allegheny River, Monongahela River, Youghiogheny River, and many other rivers and smaller waterways. Landowners do not own property below the high water mark on navigable waterways. Is it legal to search artifacts below the high water mark on navigable waterways since it is public property?

I don’t want to waste time searching places that are illegal because I don’t want to risk losing my collection.
 
Upvote 0
Great stories and info,this has been a great thread,Sidmind I would like to see what info you can turn up,I am always interested in the differing laws from state to state.

Ohioaxeman,have you ever been back to that spot or area to look for relics or fish?I do agree with you it drives me nuts when I see quad tracks on a gravel bar, and the total lack of respect for the earth in general from people who leave there trash behind for others to see or cleanup,it cant be good for the natural habitat.But no one deserves to be threatened,harrassed or prosecuted for simply walking a shoreline or fishing in a creek/river.

cool little story smurufett,so did you go hunt the other side of the river?did you find anything? :thumbsup:
 
Ohioaxeman,have you ever been back to that spot or area to look for relics or fish?I do agree with you it drives me nuts when I see quad tracks on a gravel bar, and the total lack of respect for the earth in general from people who leave there trash behind for others to see or cleanup,it cant be good for the natural habitat.But no one deserves to be threatened,harrassed or prosecuted for simply walking a shoreline or fishing in a creek/river.

I've been to that area many times in my life, but never had to deal with a landowner before, thats why i got pissed at him. i've found a few flint pieces in the fields by the river over the years, but nothing significant. i've mostly hunted the 2nd terraces, but they are extremely wooded. A fort (Seaman's Fort) was discovered close by where i hunt, but i've never been there. Its been relatively kept secret from the general public, but a few of the annual picnics have been held there over the last ten years or so by the Sandusky Valley chapter of the ASO.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom