Paint Pot.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a Paint pot, As you can see, there's still signs of red paint, now this Pot is Caddoan period, been buried for thousands of years, but still shows the paint. So got me to thinking, other paint pot finds would surely show signs of paint( red being a dead give away for war paint ) This should help new collectors not to get mixed up with nutting stones & such stones alike, as I have seen in previous posts.
I hope this post will help new hunters. :)

Molly. Good Luck Hunting :thumbsup:

Attachments

• TX98 500.jpg
    TX98 500.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 334
  • TX99 500.jpg
    TX99 500.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 298
Upvote 0
A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

Gotta respectfully disagree Molly, I find stuff like that here all the time...normally it comes off iron ore or ironoxide rocks that disintegrate. Rub it with your finger and it comes off red or brownish red. The ochres that you find in my area come in several colors...red, brown, yellow, white and blue. Paint pots will show more signs of use. We have what people call paint rocks here...they are round and have a pigment on the inside....not indian, but try and convince folks of that fact... :wink:

Anyhow, if I am wrong, been so before, and that is a paint pot, I have a fortune in them as you find them by the dozens here, especially in ironore rich soils. Want another one?? :D Yes, the indians probably did obtain pigments from such stones, natural berries, barks and herbs as well.

A friend of mine has a small paint pot. It is triangular in shape...small, about the size of a quarter or 50cent piece. Made of brown Ochre....has a hole in the center scratched out. Very interesting piece that came from a site in Arkansas. The material is so dense you have to scratch the pigment off, it wont rub off with just a finger. I tried to get that piece from him, but he wouldn't budge...lol.

Atlantis

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately I'm not in a possition to debate either way. The paint pot was given to me, a good friend of mine found it on a Caddoan Village site, with several points, pots/bowls too.
I've tried rubbing the paint, nothing rubs off it. I believe it to be a paint pot, my friend has vast amounts of Caddoan Artifacts, that's his specialty.

Thankyou for your input though. :)

Molly.

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 276
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 273
A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

No problem Molly.....I could easily be wrong as you never see everything in this business. I just know we have tons of that sort of stuff here. I do find pieces like that in village sites so they may use it as pigment. Sort of like those chunks of brown and red sandstone you find. I wonder what the heck they used it for as it crumbles like the devil.

If you could get some pics of your friends pots and stuff, I would love to see them. Can never get enough Caddo stuff. I am prejudiced....I think the Caddo wares were the pinnacle of pottery manufacture in the South and East.

Atlantis

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I know you prefer Caddoan, I do too. Sure I can get some pics to show you. I'm surprised you don't go in the Auction (Matts)
on sundays, Caddo pots are sold on there quite often. Great deals too, I don't personally buy any, I'm an Arrowhead nut, but sure do love seeing them (on cam), infact I enjoy seeing all the Artifacts displayed.

Molly. :)

Attachments

• Rockhunter.jpg
    Rockhunter.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 263
  • Rockhunter.jpg
    Rockhunter.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 279
That one definately has wear patterns on it. Sometimes, I find paint "slabs" up here, covered with scratches. Like Molly said, when ochre is found on village sites, it is very probably an artifact, when you have the wear patterns and scratchmarks, then ...well, there ya have it. Nice pic Molly. Keep em comin'. ;D

Billco

Oct 8, 2007
Alabama
Iron ore is plentiful in the areas where I hunt and, like Atlantis, I come across stuff that LOOKS like that all the time. One site that I hunt, has an iron ore strip pit running parallel to it (and a chert pit next to the iron ore pit). "Rocks" like that are common. However, I pick up pieces that look like that on other sites a few miles away from the iron ore pit. It's possible that they were carried in and used for something, but it looks exactly like what I find near the strip pit. So I just leave it all.

Not saying that wasn't used as a paint pot - just that I see similar pieces in quantity.

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou for your replies guys, I guess the only way to tell is if the paint rubs off, mine doesn't, I tried it. So I'm labelling mine a paint pot.
I agree with Shawn. :wink:

Molly. :)

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've been told that its 40 miles to the nearest iron ore source, to where my Paint pot was found, so it's definetly a paint pot.
And was only posted to show new hunters.
Just trying to help. Also got time on my hands at the mo.

Molly. :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• Dance_2.gif
    Dance_2.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 230

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions