Panning in Portugal?

GaHeBo

Jul 8, 2023
I have been trying to find ANYTHING online on the legalities of panning in Portugal but not a single bit of luck so I thought I would ask here instead.

Do any of you know the legalities of panning in Northern Portugal?

We live in the mountains now and the streams are so pretty, just like North Georgia, and I want to try a little panning but seriously don't want to get in trouble just for a little bit of fun!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GaHeBo

Jul 8, 2023
Contact one of their University's for this info OR contact the local officials .
Thank you, I never thought of the Universities! I have easily found all about metal detecting - not allowed - and mining rules and regs online but nothing on panning. Thank you again, I'll give that a try!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was a thread a while back about a rock hound in Portugal that was wanting to find some gold for his collection. He knew the location of an ancient gold mine on the coast. A forum member from the US visited him and found some small nuggets for the Portuguese guy. I’m not sure if he found the nuggets detecting or panning but if I remember he was in the water below the ancient mine. I’m no good at finding old threads but I know it’s here somewhere.

OP
OP
G

GaHeBo

Jul 8, 2023
lol It was that thread that lead me to this forum, I found it when I was trying to find out if panning is legal here! I'll read it again but I'll also check out the university and local official angle too! Cheers!!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Portuguese constitution clearly states that all valuable minerals belong to the State. (Article 84).

If you want to legally pan for gold you will need to get an exploration permit from the national government. The regulations recently changed so you might want to check that out.

OP
OP
G

GaHeBo

Jul 8, 2023
The Portuguese constitution clearly states that all valuable minerals belong to the State. (Article 84).

If you want to legally pan for gold you will need to get an exploration permit from the national government. The regulations recently changed so you might want to check that out.
So, that might be an issue but, just for conversation's sake, I could pan and then tip anything I find back into the stream? Or would I need a permit to even look?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread