Panning on National Forest, or Similiar land status in Idaho

Shattuc

Greenie
May 30, 2005
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Howdy Everyone.
I've recently moved to Boise, and the Cabin fever is DRIVING ME CRAZY! I've been plotting an outing which I will either do when the snow has completely broken, or when I can no longer stand sitting here idling out of my mind. I'm sure we have some panners out and about in Idaho, and i was wondering what the rules are for panning on national forest land, and related land statuses. As soon as I can get this figured out, the sooner I be panning my life away :D
Any links to the relevant information would be great as a response.

Thanks to Everyone in advance!!!

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
In general, panning in idaho is allowed on all rivers and streams in Idaho that are not private land. However if you wish to dredge or sluice, you will need a permit. The permit also lists areas that are off limits to dredging. They are obtained from the Idaho Department of Water Resources. Their website is:

http://www.idwr.idaho.gov

Even though you have your permit, you should check with the Forest Service district ranger station or the Bureau of Land Management offices. They can tell you about access, open roads, camping, land ownership, areas closed to dredging and other information regarding Federal land. Many streams in National Forests may not be available for dredging due to endangered species considerations.

People in the area may object to the noise of a gasoline engine on a dredge. Some towns do not allow recreational dredge mining equipment with the city limits because of the noise. The State of Idaho forbids use of recreational dredges within 500 feet of a developed campground, and the Forest Service prohibits their use in national recreation areas and protected rivers.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
In addition to the previous good replies. Before even considering recreational panning you should be aware that you are not on an existing Placer or patented mining claim. There is hundreds of claims up here in Shoshone Co. The owners of these claims many times don't have adequate markings but will still treat you like a "Claim Jumper" if they catch you. A sign on one I saw recently said "Anyone caught hanging around here at night will be caught hanging around here in the morning!"
Silverswede:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread