May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this at the local Goodwill. I can't quite make out the mark on the top outside rim. The bottom is Marked silver plate. I passed because the ceramic liner had a big chip. it's a really nice piece. Do you think I made a mistake? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439349366.797491.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1439349390.209608.jpg

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the shape and would have bought if perfect and price was right, but plate + chip = pass.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your feedback!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 5 bucks I would have bought it... chipped or not...
If still there go back.

I would be willing to bet its worth something...
If nothing else go back and rub the mark with a Kleenex till mark is visable...
Always carry a loop when shopping.

Then search via phone the name as you stand there... if good... buy.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
damaged goods --trying to resale em is murder ...unless perfect -- --pass

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. If perfect probably a $50 item. Worthless with the chip. I think it is a coffee/tea pot or pitcher.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the maker.
If rare... chip does not play too much in value.

This applies to all pottery and ceramics of a rare nature.

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather make a $5 mistake than a $1,000-$5,000+ mistake! What I mean is that I'd rather buy it and take it home and research it, than not buy it and lose on the learning opportunity and potential score. With focus and time, your skills and learning develop to be able to see, feel, and smell a score. I don't regret one single bit buying all those low end art pieces whether oils or prints. I consider them an extremely valuable education. I've made many many times over on the good ones that have turned out to be real winners.

The non-collectible pieces I actually took to my job and had an art sale, and all of the proceeds went to the March Of Dimes campaign. It was a complete success, so in the end it was all definitely worth it. I know that it can be challenge when you do not have the money to invest, so your attention to detail should increase and you should be more intelligent in your purchases. The key is to never stop learning about things, that in the end fuel your passion! All the best to you, and there'll be more opportunities to score! Opportunity and good fortune doesn't take breaks, and neither should we! :-)

RJA

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather make a $5 mistake than a $1,000-$5,000+ mistake! What I mean is that I'd rather buy it and take it home and research it, than not buy it and lose on the learning opportunity and potential score. With focus and time, your skills and learning develop to be able to see, feel, and smell a score. I don't regret one single bit buying all those low end art pieces whether oils or prints. I consider them an extremely valuable education. I've made many many times over on the good ones that have turned out to be real winners.

The non-collectible pieces I actually took to my job and had an art sale, and all of the proceeds went to the March Of Dimes campaign. It was a complete success, so in the end it was all definitely worth it. I know that it can be challenge when you do not have the money to invest, so your attention to detail should increase and you should be more intelligent in your purchases. The key is to never stop learning about things, that in the end fuel your passion! All the best to you, and there'll be more opportunities to score! Opportunity and good fortune doesn't take breaks, and neither should we! :-)

RJA

Thank you Art! Great advice. BTW... I went back and it was gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread