What's new

Paw print fossil??

mope540

Full Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2011
Messages
224
Reaction score
224
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Sovereign XS, E-Trac, Equinox 800, Manticore.
Oldest coin to date...1829 large cent
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this impression that of a paw?? Or maybe some type of plant?? It measure 2" at the widest point, and was found in Missouri...maybe a mile west of Black River.

Thanks for any help!
IMG_20211021_132951752.webp
IMG_20211021_133120283.webp
IMG_20211021_133110773.webp
IMG_20211021_133159106.webp
 
Certainly looks like a bobcat track.Just a guess you understand. I know tracks well,but I don,t know squat about fossils.
 
I’m no expert on ancient feet by any means but I’m not sure paws are old enough to show up in stone, mammals didn’t really emerge until after 65 million years, who knows how long it took to evolve into something that would have a paw like that, you get into sabertooth cats and cave lions, you’re usually talking partially fossilized bones, I’d imagine not enough time for a print to become locked in stone. Just an educated guess though, looks more like some kind of mineral formation or maybe some type of coral colony
 
I’m no expert on ancient feet by any means but I’m not sure paws are old enough to show up in stone, mammals didn’t really emerge until after 65 million years, who knows how long it took to evolve into something that would have a paw like that, you get into sabertooth cats and cave lions, you’re usually talking partially fossilized bones, I’d imagine not enough time for a print to become locked in stone. Just an educated guess though, looks more like some kind of mineral formation or maybe some type of coral colony
Thank you both for the replies. Great information, OTB...makes sense
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom