What's new

Pennies and Nickels 03-01-2008

GMan00001

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2006
Messages
2,539
Reaction score
228
Golden Thread
0
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was running errands today so I stopped by a couple of banks as part of my trip.

Picked up 4 - $50 bags of pennies, 1 - $200 bag of nickels

The $200 in nickels... not so good (again)
1 - 1941-D <-- in AU50 or better
1 - 1942-D <-- don't have a roll of this variety yet
31 other pre-1960 Jefferson (1939, 1940, 1940-S, 1941-S Small S, 1946(3), 1947-D, 1948, 1948-D(3), 1952(2), 1952-D, 1952-S(2), 1953-D, 1954, 1956, 1956-D(2), 1957-D(2), 1958-D(2), 1959-D(5))

14 Canadian (1965, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1982(2), 1986, 1989, 1991, 1994, 1996, 2000(2))

1 Foreign (Great Britain, 1 New Penny (1989))

4 Quarters
4 Dimes
8 pennies


The pennies though were pretty good...80 wheat pennies total

Penny Bag #1
-----------------
17 wheat pennies (1940-D, 1942(2), 1944-D(2), 1945-D, 1946-D, 1948-D, 1951-D, 1952, 1955-D, 1956-D(3), 1957-D(3))

23 Canadian (1944, 1953 No Shoulder Fold, 1964(2), 1968(2), 1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1978, 1981(2), 1982(2), 1985(3), 1986, 1987, 1991, 1992, 2006)

2 Foreign (Bahamas, 1 Cent (2001), Netherlands, 25 Cents (2000))

Penny Bag #2
-----------------
22 wheat pennies (1939, 1941, 1942, 1944, 1945-D, 1945-S, 1946, 1946-D(2), 1947-D, 1951-D, 1952-S, 1955-D(2), 1956-D(3), 1957-D(4), 1958-D)

25 Canadian (1946, 1962, 1964, 1971, 1972, 1976, 1977(2), 1978(2), 1980, 1981(2), 1983, 1984, 1986(2), 1990(2), 1993(3), 1994, 1995, 1996)


Penny Bag #3
-----------------
13 wheat pennies (1926-D, 1944(2), 1944-S, 1945, 1945-D, 1946-D, 1950-D, 1951-D, 1956-D(2), 1957-D, 1958-D)

20 Canadian (1963, 1965, 1974, 1975, 1982, 1983(3), 1985, 1986(2), 1993(2), 1994(2), 1997, 1998(2), 1999, 2001)


Penny Bag #4
-----------------
28 wheat pennies (1937, 1939, 1941(2), 1944, 1944-D, 1946, 1948-D, 1949-D, 1949-S, 1950-D(3), 1951-D(2), 1952-D(3), 1952-S, 1953-D, 1954-D, 1955-D, 1956-D(3), 1957-D, 1958, 1958-D)

33 Canadian (1964, 1965, 1967, 1973, 1974, 1975(2), 1976, 1977, 1978(3), 1979(2), 1981, 1982(2), 1983(2), 1984, 1985, 1989(2), 1991(2), 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999(2), 2000, 2002)

1 Foreign (Germany, 2 Pfennig (1973-F))

1 Quarter


Note: Red indicates first one of the variety I have found in 2008.
 
Upvote 0
Good going GMan! If I'm not mistaken, doesn't that make 70 wheat varieties, or 50% of the series, for you so far this year?

Kudos too on the 42-D nickel. It's been almost a whole year since I've found one, and I only need two to complete the roll. Waaah!
 
Immy said:
Good going GMan! If I'm not mistaken, doesn't that make 70 wheat varieties, or 50% of the series, for you so far this year?

Kudos too on the 42-D nickel. It's been almost a whole year since I've found one, and I only need two to complete the roll. Waaah!

Yes that does make 70 varieties, but not quite 50% if you count 1928-S (large and small S) and 1941-S (large and small S) like I do. If you count those I need 1 more for 50%. :)

And I still need 18 17 more for my 1942-D roll
 
Gotcha. But you don't count the 1922 Plain, right? Not that there's a real possibility of finding one.

BTW, have you found more large or small S 1941-S's? My Lincoln Cent Encyclopedia says the Large is more common.
 
Immy said:
Gotcha. But you don't count the 1922 Plain, right? Not that there's a real possibility of finding one.

BTW, have you found more large or small S 1941-S's? My Lincoln Cent Encyclopedia says the Large is more common.

The 1922 plain was not an intentionally minted variety so I don't count it.. The mintmark size changes were intentional changes made by the mint so they do count.

My book on Lincoln Cents says Large is scarcer and he estimates about a 12 to 1 ratio of small to large based upon his experiences examining them over the years. Based on my searches I tend to agree with him.

My book - Looking Through Lincoln Cents - Chronology of a Series written by Charles Daughtrey (he is the one behind the http://www.coppercoins.com).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom