Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this petrified wood in a farm field in Westmoreland county PA (SW PA). I can't tell you what period it's from or how old, but some of it has some nice colors. My brother has been collecting from this field for about 20 years.
Petrified wood side.jpg Petrified, bark side.jpg

Petrified - hand.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like he's getting some pretty nice stone there :)

Upvote 0

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My boys and went out a few weeks ago and brought back a couple crates full. Yours looks very colorful and different. It's amazing the different varieties. I finished tumbling some recently and it turned out incredible!! It only took about 5 days in a vibrasonic tumbler. I bet your brother has an amazing collection!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My boys and went out a few weeks ago and brought back a couple crates full. Yours looks very colorful and different. It's amazing the different varieties. I finished tumbling some recently and it turned out incredible!! It only took about 5 days in a vibrasonic tumbler. I bet your brother has an amazing collection!!
Thanks. My brother makes jewelry and is good at polishing stones. I really have no idea how much my brother has collected from this field, but it must be a couple hundred pounds.

Upvote 0

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It must be fun to go out with him and collect pieces. There is something about wandering around collecting that is very satisfying when you find what you are looking for. The florissant fossil beds national park is right down the road from me, and has massive petrified redwoods. You seem to find it in lots of places out here. I bet your brother has cut some pretty nice pieces out of that field!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It must be fun to go out with him and collect pieces. There is something about wandering around collecting that is very satisfying when you find what you are looking for. The florissant fossil beds national park is right down the road from me, and has massive petrified redwoods. You seem to find it in lots of places out here. I bet your brother has cut some pretty nice pieces out of that field!!
Unfortunately my brother thinks he owns that field and nobody else is allowed to go in there and pick up some pieces. I had one piece that I found back in 2003, and hadn't been in that field since, until this weekend. When I showed him the 5 pieces I found while metal detecting the old house site along the edge of the field, he got mad.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions