What's new

Penny box SKUNK

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2009
Messages
2,560
Reaction score
1,100
Golden Thread
0
Location
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever skunk on a box of pennies?? I just did. I've done 4 boxes to date, and found a grand total of 7 wheaties. Each box got worse - 4,2,1,0. On a better note, I found out today that my little tiny hometown bank can and will order halves for me "about once a month." The bank is less than a mile from my house, so that will sure be handy. Order goes in tomorrow, will post the results when they come in.
 
Upvote 0
Skunked on wheats, yes. Although I am really never skunked because I save the copper ones and hunt for varities/errors. Even if you don't save the copper, being on the east coast you should easily be able to pull in a AM variety.
 
I did save the copper. However, Arkansas is not on the East Coast. The majority of the coinage here comes from Denver.
 
Yeah, that sucks. The lowest amount I ever got was 3 wheats.. I never thought one would get skunked with a penny box
 
Never been skunked on pennies but it's been close a couple of times.
 
I have not been skunked yet but I do get tired of looking at the D mint mark. I average about 10 -12 wheat's per box but have yet to find a notable error. I do have a 1989 d that looks like a doubling on the date but I can't get my camera to take a good pic.
 
Got skunked when I got a box of the new LP2 2009 cents, not one wheat in the whole box! :) Actually I didnt open it, put it on the shelf to store for 50-60 years.
 
ArkieBassMan said:
I did save the copper. However, Arkansas is not on the East Coast. The majority of the coinage here comes from Denver.

I know Arkansas isn't the East Coast literally, but I did think they were east of the Mississippi and I just realized that error. :dontknow: I guess I should brush up on my geography instead of spending so much time going through coins. I think this hobby is destroying my brain :laughing7:
 
never got skunked on wheats before
knock on wood
however i did get skunked when i got 30 boxes of the first 2009 design
didnt open the boxes though
they went on ebay
 
i have been skunked several times on pennies. Its a buzzkill. i have even had boxes that didnt contain a single copper penny
 
Philmont_709n2 said:
i have been skunked several times on pennies. Its a buzzkill. i have even had boxes that didnt contain a single copper penny

No copper, wow, thats hard to believe. Must have gotten ahold of some of the returns from the guys over on realcent.
 
yea. i figured it was someone using a ryedale's dump.
 
Philmont_709n2 said:
i have been skunked several times on pennies. Its a buzzkill. i have even had boxes that didnt contain a single copper penny

It really does mess with the mind. I've only been skunked once. Not a single copper cent. I, of course, posted on T-Net as to what kind of freak culls every copper coin when I realized that I'm that freak. Still the probability of dumps being placed in a hopper with other cents to be rerolled and not a single copper cent to be mixed in has to be infinitesimal.
 
Diver_Down said:
Philmont_709n2 said:
i have been skunked several times on pennies. Its a buzzkill. i have even had boxes that didnt contain a single copper penny

It really does mess with the mind. I've only been skunked once. Not a single copper cent. I, of course, posted on T-Net as to what kind of freak culls every copper coin when I realized that I'm that freak. Still the probability of dumps being placed in a hopper with other cents to be rerolled and not a single copper cent to be mixed in has to be infinitesimal.

Not the volume that some people with ryedales do. I am sure they can fill up one of those hoppers with Zincolns in no time.
 
ON weeks I really hump it, I can do 25 boxes with the Ryedale. That's $625 in pennies. Since I get about 17% copper, that means about 83% goes back to the bank. Or about $519. IN one dump.

NOt often, but at times.

That could lead to a copperless box or two I suppose. But not a lot, when it gets mixed in witht he other coins.

And most weeks I do about 5 boxes, and return about $103 - $105 in zinc to the bank every monday morning.
 
I was skunked on a penny bag once around Jan 2nd of last year....the whole bag was all 1982 pennies...

Someone had apparently been separating them out and doing the copper thing.

I didn't test to see if they were all zinc or not, they just went back to the bank.



I did start thinking about the idea of just removing all of a certain common date of penny or nickel and cashing them in all at once when I get a lot of them....

Such as $200 worth of 1999-D pennies or something like that at once just for fun...though the odds that a CRHer would ever stumble across my "boxes of no goodies" is pretty low so I haven't bothered. :)
 
Why not just spend the zinc pennies? Some might have too large of a quantity to spend but at least try. I buy everything in halves and pennies. Dimes I return in their plastic rolls to banks that have a lot of merchants. They use them and give them out to merchants. It's never good to have them return to the vault. It sounds easy but I know it's hard to use lots of change. I used halves & pennies at gas stations, taco bell, costco, walmart, & even when I go into pay medical bills.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom