What's new

Penny help please!!

SEANO

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
496
Reaction score
55
Golden Thread
0
Location
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
I have someone interested in selling me some pennies. He has been saving pennies for the past 20 years. Really looking for some advise on pricing, questions to ask, how many pennies does anyone estimate it might be (6k?) and whether its even worth getting them??

Here's I know so far.

1. 50lbs of pennies
2. Looking for price per pound
3. 20 years saved pennies
4. I have not seen them

Thank for any help.
 
Upvote 0
Please type slower and be less vague.
 
Since the One Cent piece has been comprised mainly of zinc since 1982 and your friend has been started saving after that date, I would presume that the majority of the coins would in fact be zincolns.

For zincolns it would take 181 to make a pound, copper would be 146 to a pound. So, if one were to average it out as 50/50 you would figure 168.5 coins per pound. 168.5 multiplied times 50 pounds gives you 8425 or $84.25 face value. I wouldn't pay more than estimated face due to the time frame that they were saved.
 
DigginTheChristmasPast said:
Since the One Cent piece has been comprised mainly of zinc since 1982 and your friend has been started saving after that date, I would presume that the majority of the coins would in fact be zincolns.

For zincolns it would take 181 to make a pound, copper would be 146 to a pound. So, if one were to average it out as 50/50 you would figure 168.5 coins per pound. 168.5 multiplied times 50 pounds gives you 8425 or $84.25 face value. I wouldn't pay more than estimated face due to the time frame that they were saved.

Thanks Diggin for the help. Offered $75. See how it goes. A guy from work has two 5 gallon buckets full!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom