Dropkickweasel

Greenie
Oct 5, 2018
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few pennies I've found, such as this one, have what appear to be large blisters on the side where the face is. Is this a mineral deposit that can be removed, or has the copper in the pennies somehow bubbled up and destroyed the image? Just want to know if I can clean these lumps off and if so, how? Thanks!

20181104_120055.jpg

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant make out the year is that a newer coin or older.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think that's oxidation. I think that is the acids and nitrogen in the soil dissolving the surface.

Any cent minted after 1982 is self destructive in moist soil with any nitrate fertilizers or natural acids around.

Although you appears to have an "18xx" date. But that, again, could be copper and acids reaction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dropkickweasel

Greenie
Oct 5, 2018
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's hard to tell from the picture, but it's from 1868. It was under a farm field since who knows when so I'm sure it's been exposed to all kinds of fertilizer.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that's oxidation. I think that is the acids and nitrogen in the soil dissolving the surface.

Any cent minted after 1982 is self destructive in moist soil with any nitrate fertilizers or natural acids around.

Although you appears to have an "18xx" date. But that, again, could be copper and acids reaction.

I have been wondering about that. Found a lot of newer pennies in the backyard and they are toast. The quarters and dimes are better.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Post 1982 pennies are zinc with copper plating. they don't last long in the ground.

On the IHP, removing the crust will just show you a pitted surface. The crust used to be part of the penny. Once removed, it will be just as ugly, usually.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's toast. Lately I've been leaving the horrible ones at the car vacuum as some elderly folks go there and get them. I also leave bigger change. They just won't clean up.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's toast. Lately I've been leaving the horrible ones at the car vacuum as some elderly folks go there and get them. I also leave bigger change. They just won't clean up.

Your the one who keeps leaving me pennies at the car vacuum:laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not in California, but I was there exploring ice hockey and the San Andreas fault last weekend.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like an IH cent from 18??. The ones I find in farm fields are usually toast, but ones found near a home without chemicals or fertilizer are usually in better shape.

Good Luck in your next hunt! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
D

Dropkickweasel

Greenie
Oct 5, 2018
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn. I kind of figured there'd be no cleaning it up. I'm just grateful that I was able to see the date still. Thanks for the input everyone!

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's how my indians and older wheats usually look. About a year in olive oil helps get some of the crud off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions