What's new

Pentagram button, new clue

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Everyone.
I dug this a few weeks back.
By comparing it's condition with military buttons found in the vicinity,
I can say it was probably lost in the early 19th century.
The research I've done shows only pagan usage for this symbol after the 16th century.
" In the course of the three centuries extended burning times, 1450-1750, the Christian church burned alive or hung tens of thousands of innocent individuals accused of Witchcraft, Satan worship or other heresy. The meaning of the pentagram changed. It started to symbolize a goat’s head or the devil in the kind of Baphomet. “The folk-symbol of security – for the 1st time in background – was equated with evil and was referred to as the Witch’s Foot.”
http://www.hyefinder.com/2011/04/07/pentacles-and-pentagrams-meaning-and-history/
A person being found using this symbol between 1400-1750 would probably result in a rather harsh penalty, like burning at the stake.
has anyone found items from this period with a similar design ?
thanks for looking & HH to All ;D
 

Attachments

  • nc finds 03-23 008.webp
    nc finds 03-23 008.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 660
  • nc finds 03-23 008.webp
    nc finds 03-23 008.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 631
Re: Pentagram button

It looks like an oldie, nice find. :icon_thumleft:

I will add however, the way it was viewed depended on how it was worn or symbolized. If it was upside down, much like the cross or 999 inverted, it was Satan worship but prior Christians used it as a symbol of the 5 wounds of Jesus on the cross and for protection. There were many others who used the symbol which had numerous other meanings as well.

Paul
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pentagram button

Well said, Paul.

I find it interesting how easily people interchange the terms pentacle and pentagram.

Thanks for the clarification.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pentagram button

Not all stars are evil. There are 50 on our flag and 13 on our Nation's Seal. Service awards usually have a star. You get a gold star for good work in school (or at least we used to).

As as another thread recently showed a star worn or displayed during war represented a son in the service.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pentagram button

Thanks all,
The difference between a pentagram/pentacle, to my knowledge,
is that a pentagram is the star in a circle, pentacle is just the star.
being on a button, I saw it as a pentagram. (button is circular)
According to the link in my OP, this symbol was pagan in the early 19th century.
Or maybe it's a 'Star of David'
My main question is, has anyone found any items of similar age with this symbol.
(I would not classify this as a 'regular' star)
Best digs to All! ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pentagram button

Steelheadwill wrote:
> Or maybe it's a 'Star of David'

The star on your button has five points. The Star of David has six points ...and all six of its points are an equilateral triangle. If you want rock-solid confirmation of that info, the Star of David is shown on the flag of Israel.
 

Attachments

  • Flag_of_Israel.webp
    Flag_of_Israel.webp
    4.1 KB · Views: 677
Upvote 0
Re: Pentagram button

steelheadwill said:
Thanks all,
The difference between a pentagram/pentacle, to my knowledge,
is that a pentagram is the star in a circle, pentacle is just the star.
being on a button, I saw it as a pentagram. (button is circular)
According to the link in my OP, this symbol was pagan in the early 19th century.
Or maybe it's a 'Star of David'
My main question is, has anyone found any items of similar age with this symbol.
(I would not classify this as a 'regular' star)
Best digs to All! ;D

Actually, the pentagram is a star in a circle, correct but it can be inverted all the same and still have two different meanings. The pentagram being on a round object does not necessarily justify a pentagram and could in fact be a pentacle.

Quite honestly, there are so many people over time who used this, including Freemasons and near every religion, goth, etc... it may be impossible to say exactly where it came from and the best I can determine right now, it looks like an altar button, one from those robes they used in worship but I will do more looking tonight after my wife's slave labor list for me today is done :D :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pentagram button

Thanks CannonballGuy,
I don't know why I started thinking 'Star of David',
I do know that those are six sided :tongue3: Brain Cramp !
PcHammer,
Altar Robe, great tip.
I appreciate your info and help, I understand this button could originate from
a lot of sources.
I didn't know the position of the star was significant.
I need to retrieve it from its box and review the position of shank.
Great Digs to Everyone ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pentagram button

You're welcome. :)

Since you plan to retrieve that button from its storage-box, please make and post a couple of close-up photos of its back. Might be helpful for figuring out its time-period and usage.

Also, you never told us a measurement. That would also help.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pentagram button

steelheadwill said:
Thanks CannonballGuy,
I don't know why I started thinking 'Star of David',
I do know that those are six sided :tongue3: Brain Cramp !
PcHammer,
Altar Robe, great tip.
I appreciate your info and help, I understand this button could originate from
a lot of sources.
I didn't know the position of the star was significant.
I need to retrieve it from its box and review the position of shank.
Great Digs to Everyone ;D

You are welcome and maybe we can tell you more as this goes on :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pentagram button

Thanks All!
will do.
Gotta dig it out of a box of 100s of folders that are in no particular order.
I recall it being about 13 mm,
Best Digs to All ;D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Pentagram button

Bumped.
New clue found, photo of Virginia CW soldier holding hat with this symbol.
I misplaced the photo file, am now going through the 16 volume history of CW book set to try to find it again..

Thanks all! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
I found a button with a star in a circle as well a few months back in a Civil War site.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1896.webp
    DSCF1896.webp
    74.1 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCF1894.webp
    DSCF1894.webp
    94.2 KB · Views: 384
Upvote 0
Interesting Star button..
I found the button again.
It is 13 MM, the shank orientation is as pictured, (button flipped vertically)
still trying to find that CW soldier Photo.
Thanks for Looking! :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • NH FINDS 08-15 085.webp
    NH FINDS 08-15 085.webp
    61.6 KB · Views: 305
  • NH FINDS 08-15 084.webp
    NH FINDS 08-15 084.webp
    81.2 KB · Views: 375
Upvote 0
Re: Pentagram button, CW Era? Military?

I found the photo of a Company A 11th Mississippi CW soldier with similar star,
Maybe this will be helpful ???
 

Attachments

  • NC FINDS 03-23 008.1.webp
    NC FINDS 03-23 008.1.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 264
Upvote 0
Wow that is one creepy, I mean coooool looking item. It looks like what someone finds at the beginning of a horror movie when bizarre and unexplained things begin to happen and then just when you think the primary character is going to live, it turns out to be him, I mean YOU!!! Sorry I got a little worked up and gave myself the Hebbie Jeebies. I'm just glad you found it and not me. ;D
 
Upvote 0
alderan33 said:
Wow that is one creepy, I mean coooool looking item. It looks like what someone finds at the beginning of a horror movie when bizarre and unexplained things begin to happen and then just when you think the primary character is going to live, it turns out to be him, I mean YOU!!! Sorry I got a little worked up and gave myself the Hebbie Jeebies. I'm just glad you found it and not me. ;D
Thanks, I have had some 'bizarre & unexplained' experiences..
the town where I lived and found this button has a documented history of these :o
Here's an image that appeared in a photo of my backyard on a clear night.
nothing like this impish face (I see eyes, nose & grinning mouth), showed up in any other frames. I took many pix that evening.(we conducted a ritual from an old 'book of spells', note paraphernalia on ground) who knows :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • stone house 002 copy.webp
    stone house 002 copy.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 172
  • stone house 002 copy.webp
    stone house 002 copy.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom