People posting common 20th century bottles... why???

TrickyVik

Jan 2, 2013
OK young tenderfoot, we love to see everybody's finds even if the bottles were made last night.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JOliver... Don't worry about it and we'll forget about it as well. Now, go find something really nice and redeem yourself.

HaHaHa Yea :thumbsup: You just need to get out there & find all those 18th. & 19th. Century
Bottles & Post them here to impress us all :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

JOliver80

Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HaHaHa Yea :thumbsup: You just need to get out there & find all those 18th. & 19th. Century
Bottles & Post them here to impress us all :occasion14:

These were the big three from the other day Healy and Bigelow (kickapoo) Indian Sagwa, Geyser Springs mineral water (beautiful bottle) and of course the Orcutts. If I find anything remotely as cool tomorrow I will be thrilled

IMG_1074.jpg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i post stuff to help narrow down a date to the site I am picking at....and some of those old product jars were pretty cool in design. in 20 years they will ALL be plastic and we will be drooling for a screw cap.....

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JOliver, those are all great finds. Can't decide which is my favorite. Keep hunting and keep posting

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Back a bit, at a local flea market, there was an old man and woman selling bottles from all eras filled with colored sand, marbles or shiny pebbles they had tumbled and polished. I talked to them because I thought it was a clever idea. Most of the bottles were fairly new(50's, 60's, to present) and they were really cool. They charged $5 for them, $2.50 to kids. As we talked, the lady confided in me that they did that because they couldn't get by on their social security and this gave them money for grandkids at Christmas and to keep from having to use food stamps to help them eat. I realized that I was looking at true Americans, people like my parents who worked hard all their lives rather than taking government handouts...

TrickyVik

Jan 2, 2013
Back a bit, at a local flea market, there was an old man and woman selling bottles from all eras filled with colored sand, marbles or shiny pebbles they had tumbled and polished. I talked to them because I thought it was a clever idea. Most of the bottles were fairly new(50's, 60's, to present) and they were really cool. They charged $5 for them, $2.50 to kids. As we talked, the lady confided in me that they did that because they couldn't get by on their social security and this gave them money for grandkids at Christmas and to keep from having to use food stamps to help them eat. I realized that I was looking at true Americans, people like my parents who worked hard all their lives rather than taking government handouts...

I agree.

TrickyVik

Jan 2, 2013

Hard working Americans.

Attachments

• image-2895811858.jpg
    image-2895811858.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 89

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug my first bottle by accident when I was 5 or 6 while digging a signal found with my father's newly purchased detector. It was a screw-top 1930s perfume bottle that kinda resembled a christmas tree. I was so excited that I neglected to dig the dime signal, lol. Purely from the money value standpoint it is worthless and I'd never look twice at such things now, but I have it displayed proudly right next to 3 and 4 figure bottles I've obtained subsequently. That first bottle was so enchanting and wonderful to my vivacious little kid self, and provided literally hours of deep pondering regarding the "what-ifs" of its origin and intersections with long-gone human lives. The seed was planted, and 20 years later has grown into an active pursuit of the most rewarding hobby I can imagine. Everyone has to start somewhere, so despite the mundane nature of many of the common and worthless finds posted, they may likewise represent the spark that ignites a deep burning passion for digging and collecting old glass; finds both worthless and priceless at the same time. I can't blame you for considering the common crap to be crap, but if you react negatively to the inexperienced novices seeking information then their newly-germinated seed of interest may likely be destroyed, and this is very bad for the hobby as well as their potential future life satisfaction. Detecting is great, but bottle digging is a hundred times more interesting, rewarding, and lucrative if the latter is your thing. And this is coming from someone who started out collecting old coins, and still does. :)

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a fantastic coin collection of US, Canadian and Australian coins and bills....but the ones i like most are the worn ones I still proudly display that I found as a kid in my change.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Just think a hundred years from now those darn catsup bottles will be worth tons! Always dream of late throws in a pit that is full of 1940's stuff. They are out there, dig em all. Thats what we do. Mark it off the list and move on to the next pit or dump or whatever. Heck I started out with a nice Dr. Kilmers cure. I was hooked and have not stopped digging since. I've done my fair share of research as well on all things including common stuff. Its a great way to learn. Here's to all diggers everywhere, hoping the next find is a Race and Sheldons Magic Boot Polish! jgas

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always dream of late throws in a pit that is full of 1940's stuff.

One of my best finds was a particularly rare embossed emerald green Iron Pontiled pickle dug in a 1910s deposit next to early ABM stuff. Those late throws can kick butt!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am completely obsessed with bottles and have never found anything old yet except for the bottom of a Hutch soda bottle that Surf identified for me.i actually am guilty of posting a pic of a 1970's barrel type beer bottle a few weeks ago I found that I had never seen before but everyone was really nice about helping me and I know they will continue to do so,everyone seems to want to help here.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my best finds was a particularly rare embossed emerald green Iron Pontiled pickle dug in a 1910s deposit next to early ABM stuff. Those late throws can kick butt!

Hey Stephen,

Have you still got that on your shelf, or did you buy a car with the proceeds? I disremember. Would love to see that again...

dill_pickles.jpg

Tom Bigbee

Feb 17, 2009
Miss/ Ala
Detector(s) used
1266X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've probably left more brown snuff bottles behind than any other type.... Always heard the raised dots on the bottom had something to do with rarity... Looking back I can think of a lot of bottles I wish I had kept.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I had always "heard" that the dots had to do with the potency of the snuff. The more dots, the stronger.

"OLD BROWN SNUFF BOTTLES

Dr. George Avery of Stephen F. Austin presented a program on old bottles at our monthly meeting of the Valley of the Caddo Archeological Society at the First United Methodist Church in Paris on March 15. For years I have seen and wondered about the meaning of dots on the bottom of old snuff bottles. I just knew it had to do with the age of the bottle, like dots on Case pocket knives. Never having dipped, I didn’t know there were different strengths of snuff. The dots referred to the potency with one being the mildest and six the strongest. There are other candidates for dot reasons that we will get to later. Those with five or six dots were relatively rare and I don’t recall ever seeing one. Some people sniffed the stuff but those with five and six dots were so strong they were not recommended for sniffing." eddietrapp052112

snuffbottle3.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread