Perfectly round white stone (native american?)

caspider10

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, first post here. I read the "please read before posting" thread, so I'll try to make sure I've got it all :)

This stone was found about 20 years ago when digging around in my great-grandmother's backyard in Manila, Arkansas. She was 1/2 Comanche Indian, so I know there were some tribes in the area. I meant to take the picture with a quarter or nickel for reference, but I forgot, please excuse this.

I hope the photos are clear enough, it's about the best I can do with my current camera. Size of the stone is approximately 1.5", and like i said, it is almost perfectly round. It was not found near any rivers or streams, and I have never found anything quite like this in the area. There doesn't seem to be any markings except for a few small nicks that look like it hit another rock or struck something sharp (you can see these in the photos). I'm not quite sure what kind of stone this is (limestone perhaps??).

Here's what I'm hoping to find out (in increasing order of hopefulness!):
~ What kind of rock this is
~ Is it man-made, or natural
~ If it is man-made, what was it used for, or what could it be

ANY help would be appreciated, even if it is just a reference to another site that might be more specific/helpful!

Thanks!!

EDIT: diameter is roughly 38mm.

1.JPG

another recent find: this time near matheson colorado:

arrowhead.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 1,106
Last edited:

gdsmith870

Jul 31, 2017
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• IMG_2615.JPG
    IMG_2615.JPG
    597 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0

H@45

Feb 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, first post here. I read the "please read before posting" thread, so I'll try to make sure I've got it all :)

This stone was found about 20 years ago when digging around in my great-grandmother's backyard in Manila, Arkansas. She was 1/2 Comanche Indian, so I know there were some tribes in the area. I meant to take the picture with a quarter or nickel for reference, but I forgot, please excuse this.

I hope the photos are clear enough, it's about the best I can do with my current camera. Size of the stone is approximately 1.5", and like i said, it is almost perfectly round. It was not found near any rivers or streams, and I have never found anything quite like this in the area. There doesn't seem to be any markings except for a few small nicks that look like it hit another rock or struck something sharp (you can see these in the photos). I'm not quite sure what kind of stone this is (limestone perhaps??).

Here's what I'm hoping to find out (in increasing order of hopefulness!):
~ What kind of rock this is
~ Is it man-made, or natural
~ If it is man-made, what was it used for, or what could it be

ANY help would be appreciated, even if it is just a reference to another site that might be more specific/helpful!

Thanks!!

EDIT: diameter is roughly 38mm.

View attachment 946885

another recent find: this time near matheson colorado:

View attachment 1048312

16128534766211633855068490238386.jpg

Upvote 0

Bryan82

Mar 5, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coincidentally my brother found one of those sticking out of a hillside in the woods of southwest Pennsylvania. The one he found is about 3-in in diameter and it seems to be unusually heavy.

I found one of these about 30 years ago—white, about 2.5”—northeast of Pittsburgh in a creek. I have no idea what it is. Since this thread was created years ago, I am wondering if you found out any more details? 59090138-E92D-4E71-9DBD-E3702C1EFEAA.jpeg

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't think of any reason a Native American would need or want a perfectly round stone. But I have seen such things in caves where water had the opportunity to work over thousands of years.

8b7759f8db04d91d289d98fc8dfea4e8.jpg

Upvote 0

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a spill of these balls in Pittsburgh a few years ago, search “Dino eggs” for the post in this forum. I cracked one in half.

Upvote 0

seanz

Jan 21, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have similar ones, apparently whiter and smoother. They are heavy and very hard. I couldn't scratch this one with with a glass-cutter. IMG_20210306_174842.jpg

Upvote 0

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That last one def looks like a mill ball for polishing...they are usually ceramic...

Get the specific gravity of some of these would help

On some of the others, like in PA, there are a lot of limestone concretions that look like this...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread