Perfectly round white stone (native american?)

caspider10

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, first post here. I read the "please read before posting" thread, so I'll try to make sure I've got it all :)

This stone was found about 20 years ago when digging around in my great-grandmother's backyard in Manila, Arkansas. She was 1/2 Comanche Indian, so I know there were some tribes in the area. I meant to take the picture with a quarter or nickel for reference, but I forgot, please excuse this.

I hope the photos are clear enough, it's about the best I can do with my current camera. Size of the stone is approximately 1.5", and like i said, it is almost perfectly round. It was not found near any rivers or streams, and I have never found anything quite like this in the area. There doesn't seem to be any markings except for a few small nicks that look like it hit another rock or struck something sharp (you can see these in the photos). I'm not quite sure what kind of stone this is (limestone perhaps??).

Here's what I'm hoping to find out (in increasing order of hopefulness!):
~ What kind of rock this is
~ Is it man-made, or natural
~ If it is man-made, what was it used for, or what could it be

ANY help would be appreciated, even if it is just a reference to another site that might be more specific/helpful!

Thanks!!

EDIT: diameter is roughly 38mm.

1.JPG

another recent find: this time near matheson colorado:

arrowhead.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 1,106
Last edited:

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Something like that found around my area would be a mill ball used to grind clay at one of the many potteries that were around here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

caspider10

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally figured out the picture thing :)

Does this look about right taz42o? I don't remember any mention of potteries in the area around Manila, Arkansas.

Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hard to imagine it would be nature made, being a almost perfect sphere.I am not the one to help you,But I know allot of nice Indian artifacts have been found Arkansas.

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
I dont recall that web like pattern on any mill balls they are generally smooth except for some scratches.
Not sure what you have.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might be a possibility it could be the inside of a golf ball this is what that would look like 100_4346.JPG 100_4347.JPG once the insides are exposed they dry out some and get real hard. I chip carve the insides of golf balls that's how I thought how it looked a lot like them, they are all different colors not sure but the dimensions match.This one is speckled blue but I have seen pink, white, even a black one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it may be made of Quartzite.
It could be natural or man made.
It may be a cobble used by Native Americans as a blank for tools/projectile points

Upvote 0

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Caspider10.......... I have lots of those ............ We always called them Indian marbles ............. you find them in different colors ....

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
It almost looks "too round" to be an Indian game stone, but I hope it turns out to be just that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

caspider10

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont recall that web like pattern on any mill balls they are generally smooth except for some scratches.
Not sure what you have.

Right, I thought that mill balls were generally smoother and made out of a different material / stone.

This might be a possibility it could be the inside of a golf ball this is what that would look like View attachment 946905 View attachment 946906 once the insides are exposed they dry out some and get real hard. I chip carve the insides of golf balls that's how I thought how it looked a lot like them, they are all different colors not sure but the dimensions match.This one is speckled blue but I have seen pink, white, even a black one.

Good thought! I don't believe it to be the center for a couple of reasons though- it is waaaay too heavy and not perfectly spherical, just unusually spherical :)

Caspider10.......... I have lots of those ............ We always called them Indian marbles ............. you find them in different colors ....

Do you have any links to pictures? Or can you tell me anything more about them? (I'm googling as I type this as well...)

It almost looks "too round" to be an Indian game stone, but I hope it turns out to be just that.

Can you provide any more information about this?

I believe its an old marble

This is way I'm leaning as of right now.

I found a link on this site to something fairly similar, it's about the same size even:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/north-american-indian-artifacts/185063-stone-ball.html

Upvote 0

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Caspider10.... I'd say it was not over a month ago , I was detecting along a river here and walked up on 3 white areas in the field .... This white that is mixed in the dirt is the remains of mussel shells where the native Americans ate mussels...........I have seen lots of these places before along our rivers down here ..... Anyway , while I was bumping along , there was a marble just like the one u have ........... put it in my pocket and when I was done , I went by the landowners house and gave the marble to his youngest son ... kid walks and collects arrowheads and such ............... I have 5 grand children and they all have 2 or 3 marbles I have given them ......... they are not that rare down here ............... another landowner I hunt on , gave him 2 one day for his two children ....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

caspider10

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caspider10.... I'd say it was not over a month ago , I was detecting along a river here and walked up on 3 white areas in the field .... This white that is mixed in the dirt is the remains of mussel shells where the native Americans ate mussels...........I have seen lots of these places before along our rivers down here ..... Anyway , while I was bumping along , there was a marble just like the one u have ........... put it in my pocket and when I was done , I went by the landowners house and gave the marble to his youngest son ... kid walks and collects arrowheads and such ............... I have 5 grand children and they all have 2 or 3 marbles I have given them ......... they are not that rare down here ............... another landowner I hunt on , gave him 2 one day for his two children ....

So if they are fairly common, were they used by children for games, would I be right in saying that? And do you think this is what you are describing?

Upvote 0

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never done much reading on native American artifacts .... I just stumble up on them in the fields I detect .......... some of the experts on here can tell u a lot more .................. slaves also made marbles to play with , and I would suppose lots of folks did the same , through the generations ............. reason I give them to kids is cause they are clay marbles and very old ............ the native Americans may have used them for a game piece or even to cook with , poverty points, so to speak ..................... That is about it for my limited knowledge ..............

Upvote 0

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found quite a few being in the gravel production and bridge building business. I think most are formed by glaciers, rolling along under tons of ice. On our elevated gravel conveyors, there are usually quite a few on the ground at the base of the conveyor, they often roll back down and fall off, instead of traveling up to the stack.

That's not to say that prehistoric man didn't pick them up, carry them back to camp, and use them for something.

Truth is, it's really hard to tell exactly what formed it, or if it was used long ago.

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thought! I don't believe it to be the center for a couple of reasons though- it is waaaay too heavy and not perfectly spherical, just unusually spherical :)
I was wondering on the weight,Yes if it's heavy then my idea is out the window.Still cool item for display.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

longcut

Oct 16, 2012
Misipy
Detector(s) used
X Terra 505 and Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold Maven .......... interesting concept on the white stones .............. all the white ones I have ever run across, had a shiny finish almost like porcelain ..........

Upvote 0

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
I cant tell what it was used for...in hand I could prob make some conclusion..it could be lotsa things...but its kewl and you got a keeper for sure!!

Upvote 0

gimel19

Oct 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have that kind of round thing, don't know what it is, and don't know the value of it IMG_20161029_152037.jpg IMG_20161029_152317.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread