Permission To Detect

mdc002

Jun 25, 2022
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I ask permission from a landowner to detect on his or her property I carry a form to authorize detecting that has a clause that exempts the land owner from any liability if I get injured on their property. That takes away the liability argument from them if they are concerned about it. I always carry a few of those in my truck since I never know when an opportunity to detect might arise. I have found the form gets my foot in the door more often than not! :thumbsup:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I ask permission from a landowner to detect on his or her property I carry a form to authorize detecting that has a clause that exempts the land owner from any liability if I get injured on their property. That takes away the liability argument from them if they are concerned about it. I always carry a few of those in my truck since I never know when an opportunity to detect might arise. I have found the form gets my foot in the door more often than not! :thumbsup:
That,s nice and may work where you live but won,t work around here. People get real uptight when you start whipping out papers and asking them to sign. Start talking liability,even exemption from liability and they go bonkers.More likely to get you a foot in the butt than a foot in the door.

hollARDog

Jun 18, 2022
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That,s nice and may work where you live but won,t work around here. People get real uptight when you start whipping out papers and asking them to sign. Start talking liability,even exemption from liability and they go bonkers.More likely to get you a foot in the butt than a foot in the door.
I'll 2nd that

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll 2nd that
I,ll explain a bit.Here in Arkansas,even if you give a signed exemption from liability,that doesn,t exempt the owner from being sued by the exemptor or his kin.The owner still has to hire a lawyer and go through the legal process to prove he was exempted from liability. A jury can still rule that the owner had such a dangerous property that no amount of exemption applies. That means more courts,more legal bills and more hassle and bother. Mention liability and the curtain comes down.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your laws. Ask an attorney. Don,t you live in the Pacific Northwest? Seems like a bit of incivility going on there lately.
You uncivilized Razorback. I bet you have hogs running around, in and out of your house. And I bet you never rioted and burned innocent people's buildings and properties. Did you ever break out windows and loot, steal others property? NO?? you are disgusting. Get some civilazation man! Come on.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Strange thing occurred this year actually in asking for permission from 2 different land owners to do field hunts. (properties side by side)
Both brought up the liability issue-what if you get hurt?
First time in over 50 years I'd been asked about this and was always waiting for this query.

It's not an unreasonable request/query from the landowner to ask a stranger that wants to dig holes.

My simple answer: I have been doing this for over 50 years now, and I have never hurt myself detecting.
(I little white lie-as I omitted sliced fingers, stubbed toes, wrenched back, dirt in the eyes, ripped finger nails, tripped over detector/shovel/dug hole) but minor boo-boos.

Though signing a piece of paper-I'd rather tip my hat-drive down the road to another permission.

Back in the mid 90's we had a business, insurance company found out we had a dog.
Well we had to place aluminum backed printed signs (certain dimensions) every 10ft on the outside walls of the compound yard. 365' x 100' So this meant 93 signs at $30+ each.

I called our lawyer and asked-answer was "It doesn't protect you in a civil suit."
Reason is-You are admitting that your dog is dangerous.
Admission of guilt actually.
Same goes for the ride ticket at the fair-all the disclaimers on the back-it's actual admission that the ride is potentially dangerous, and one could be hurt, or killed.

So I called the insurance broker back, and said this. "No problem-I'll shoot the dog", and hung up.
He called back all concerned that I was going to shoot my dog.
I told him the cost of his request=I'll shoot my dog-and I hung up.
He called back-forget the signage-sorry for the worry.
Dog lived a happy life.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange thing occurred this year actually in asking for permission from 2 different land owners to do field hunts. (properties side by side)
Both brought up the liability issue-what if you get hurt?
First time in over 50 years I'd been asked about this and was always waiting for this query.

It's not an unreasonable request/query from the landowner to ask a stranger that wants to dig holes.

My simple answer: I have been doing this for over 50 years now, and I have never hurt myself detecting.
(I little white lie-as I omitted sliced fingers, stubbed toes, wrenched back, dirt in the eyes, ripped finger nails, tripped over detector/shovel/dug hole) but minor boo-boos.

Though signing a piece of paper-I'd rather tip my hat-drive down the road to another permission.

Back in the mid 90's we had a business, insurance company found out we had a dog.
Well we had to place aluminum backed printed signs (certain dimensions) every 10ft on the outside walls of the compound yard. 365' x 100' So this meant 93 signs at $30+ each.

I called our lawyer and asked-answer was "It doesn't protect you in a civil suit."
Reason is-You are admitting that your dog is dangerous.
Admission of guilt actually.
Same goes for the ride ticket at the fair-all the disclaimers on the back-it's actual admission that the ride is potentially dangerous, and one could be hurt, or killed.

So I called the insurance broker back, and said this. "No problem-I'll shoot the dog", and hung up.
He called back all concerned that I was going to shoot my dog.
I told him the cost of his request=I'll shoot my dog-and I hung up.
He called back-forget the signage-sorry for the worry.
Dog lived a happy life.
Sounds like you are at least partially civilized.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your laws. Ask an attorney. Don,t you live in the Pacific Northwest? Seems like a bit of incivility going on there lately.
VERY WELL PUT CRASH !!!

Fumunda/tones

Feb 13, 2023
Lol...sounds like my state. Shoot first . Better get permission at least or get shot!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread