PERMISSION

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read an old treasure mag. Article that talked about this road trip the author went on. He described “tons of remains of old homesteads along the road, none of which had no trespassing signs”. The article goes on to show a dozen or more old 1800’s coins found in the yards and a piece of jewelry.
I was appalled that this would be acceptable to just roll up to some old house along the road and start digging up valuables, just because the owner didn’t put up signs!
I thought trespassing signs had to do with passage across private land, not prohibiting stealing.

Is this thought process still prevalent?
I can understand old abandoned homesteads on public land.

Last edited:

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now you know what the Natives felt like 150 years ago.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if it's prevalent, but it's out there. We owned a home in St. Stephen, SC for eight years. The prevalent thought there seemed to be if you saw something in my yard, and you wanted it, just take it. Bicycles, lawn mowers, step ladders, boat batteries and gas tanks, yard tools. Oh, car unlocked? They would just go through it to see what they wanted. Ripped the lock and hasp off of my storage building, helped themselves to my pressure washer, and other stuff they liked. A regular den of thieves.

We finally decided we were living outside the wire, and needed to get back in. So yeah, lots of folks think nothing of taking anything they want, when they want. Unbelievably appalling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread