Personal Protection

cptbil, I heard it was a bad idea to handload self protection loads.....according to the stories about prosecuters who would label a reloader into a killer.

I carry one of my three weapons for self protection. I also carry both of my prodding picks. I had an idea.....I was gonna make some more of these Prodding picks and put them up on ebay. Problem is, how long is too long, and how short is too short? Not sure what a good all-around length would be. Also, not sure about how big the "eye-hole" should be.

These are made of Brass and have a point that mimics the tip of a hyperdermic needle, but after sticking it in the ground a couple of times, it becomes rounded and good.

laterz

ejf

Basically, if you're gonna probe a coin that's deeper than three inches. You are taking a chance on what might be a good coin. If I can hit it with about 2 1/2" of probe, I'll pop it out without too much concern, unless I'm finding older coins at that depth.

Re: Reloads

Kool007:
Nope!
That idea of "Killer reloading", is for the "PC", "Intelligence challenged" Persons and easily shot down!!
Started when I was in my early teens.
Reloading is for persons who shoot up a lot of ammo up!
Target practice, Rifle/pistols Matches, etc.
I can reload for as little as .07 to .15 cents a shot!
Compare this with the 50-60 cents a shot, buying commerical ammo.!
IE: The "snub nose" .44, that I carry, is actually a s/s Charter Arms, 20oz., 5shot, .44 spl!
But! I can reload the cartridge to ".44 Mag." specs.
IE: my favorite load for it is a 240 gr JHP @ 1200fps!
My "Bear" load, and I do travel and camp for extended time in "Bear Country", is the 300gr JHP!
For both my 44 Rifle and Pistol!
Although, For a BEAR! I would rather use/try "pepper spray" rather than a bullet.
Bears coming at you, at a run, are really hard to stop with a hand gun!
I can also load (reload) light powered cartridges, for target practice, "snake (actual shotgun pellets) loads" and/or heavier loads for personal defense!
No "Prosecuter" could or should be allowed to get by, linking, reloading to "killer" by regular reloading practices!
I was at the National Rifle/Pistols Matches, Camp Perry Ohio, last year!
Everyone there has and does reload!
AND! These Matches are U.S. Government (Congressional)Sponsered/sactioned!
Since about 1886 !

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 20
  • Metal Detecting Finds 002.jpg
    Metal Detecting Finds 002.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 13
Re:Reload

Kool007:
PS,
I like your "Springfield" !
But!
Like"lowbatts" says,
Probing for a deep coin maybe best done with a large, "corer" and some very, very careful digging!
One scratch on a valuable, old (usually, a deep(er) coin, can sure ruin it's value!
:D Say!
If you ever get out west, drop me a line and we'll go look for a Big Spanish cache/mine, etc.!
I'll be out most the this year!
Providing it warms up a bit, first!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    901.2 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    710.5 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 17
Hey MR, I'll hunt the crack house lawns since they are often rather old houses or old neighborhoods, but it's early a.m. and quick in/quick out.

Can't carry here in Illinois, but I would on the rural sites. Everything from loose dogs to mad hens gets my blood up. As for bad actors, well, when it's two or three to one it would be nice to be carrying but I take the verbal judo approach and usually get the edge just as quickly.

Last summer, three guys, one with 1/2 lb of gold on his gums approached on a "short block" while I'm digging a wheatie out of the parkway. It was all bad from the body language but before they said anything I said to one of them "Jesus Christ, hey if you ever lose your effin' face give me a call, that thing'll ring out from half a block!" while pointing the coil at his head.

This put them into giggle mode and they got inquisitive, after which I was hunting in one of their yards for a lost chain. Gave up a wheatie to one of the younger brothers there and that kept me on good standing.

I'm not a cop, but I know how fast things happen on the street so I don't think I'd carry if I was detecting in town. Can't always see it coming.

Attachments

• HELLgold.jpg
    HELLgold.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • DayRiverTotal.jpg
    DayRiverTotal.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • DayRiverTotal2.jpg
    DayRiverTotal2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • nuggetfinger.jpg
    nuggetfinger.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 16
I prefer to stick to the woods, where overwhelming firepower always wins out...

MDnoob, does that come with a mount for Fisher models too or is it a Minelab exclusive?

Attachments

• WP_20141213_001.jpg
    WP_20141213_001.jpg
    843.5 KB · Views: 14
  • WP_20141213_002.jpg
    WP_20141213_002.jpg
    778.7 KB · Views: 14
Oh yeah, it is also available for Fisher MD's, with some modification. I call it the CZ-5 "Vindicator".

Attachments

• Lukens Ad.jpg
    Lukens Ad.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Bowman Lake 004.jpg
    Bowman Lake 004.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 26
  • Auburn Ravine.jpg
    Auburn Ravine.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Rockey Bar 1915 Placer co.jpg
    Rockey Bar 1915 Placer co.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 37
  • miner Aub rav.jpg
    miner Aub rav.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • Sutters Mill.bmp
    445.3 KB · Views: 26
  • SanFran Warf 1900.jpg
    SanFran Warf 1900.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 16
  • San Fran 1851.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Nugget Spanish Dry Diggins 201.44oz.jpg
    Nugget Spanish Dry Diggins 201.44oz.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Away To California.bmp
    962 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    852.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Malakoff Mine 006.jpg
    Malakoff Mine 006.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Malakoff Mine 004.jpg
    Malakoff Mine 004.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Malakoff Mine 003.jpg
    Malakoff Mine 003.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    387.7 KB · Views: 35
Re: Personal Protection My DOG.

My dog likes to hunt with me.. He alerts to lots of stuff, stays near and gets angry if things dont seem right. My best hunting partner.

well dang, I always carry a 38/357, 44 mag and or 223........................bang stick when I detect. just never know if a shark or gator is going to show up.

As i agree with all that want to carry guns for protection ,and i will avoid ranting about the communist state of illinois!I am surprised that we have had no negative rants from the left side of the forum??as i am always willing to talk gun facts and how gun control does not work!seems the liberals are always more worried about the rights of the predators then the victims!

Hi Mikelb:
The reason that you haven't heard from the "Left side" is that we now have actual proof that Gun Control Doesn't work!
And!
Without the News Media to distort the TRUTH... they know they are LOST!
MY Actual Proof!
Just check the? ?:o? Crime Figures? ?:o? for England, "London" in particular, and Australia..
NOW! With? ?;D Total Gun Control..? ;D
It was bad? ?:-[ before,
? :o BUT! Now it has become "Horrendous"? :'(?
UP! 300%? :-\
AND! That Figure, [b ]+300% [/b], is by their own figures!
But!
Them "Limeys" deserve what they? " Sow & Reap!" !
( Why? Because now the criminals know that the Honest Law abiding Citizen "Subject" is unarmed! )
OR! Better be, or they'll end up in JAIL!? :'(? for defending themselves!

CPTBIL,i understand i know gun facts ,i can give facts better then most,it is something i have cared about for along time!the scarry thing about england,germany,france australia and many other countries is that it is happening here just as bad!chicago is the murder capitol of the united states why ,you can not own a hand gun !period!!and since daley has inacted that law violent crime is through the roof!Michigan enacted a conceal carry permit for their state ,since then crime has droped all over the state why!!when you are a criminal you know you have a pretty good chance of encountering a potential victem with a gun,in chicago you know that most victems do not have guns to protect themselves! when women are being raped and beaten and their only way to defend themselves is calling 911!then we really have a problemanyone know what the average response time to a 911 emergency is in chicago?????????do some research it is shocking !
yet the liberals like to bring out the children who have died at the hands of guns!they like to use slick reporting since when is a child up too 24 years old???that is the age limit they use in their research,the shooting deaths are at a much higher rate at 13-24 almost 98% who are being killed gang bangers with illegal guns!doesnt matter what color you are you do bad stuff you have bad things happen!and i do not feel sorry for them!my cousins kid was into drugs and was shot to death,i felt bad that he didnt have better parents i even told his alcoholic parents that was their fault not the rest of the village!!WOW i better stop my ranting this is afterall a detector forum!LOL

i carry a 357 all the time never leave home without it.
i have a carry permit

whiskers said:
?It's amazing how the sound of a .45 slide being racked back (cocked) resounds around the neighborhood. ?End of any possible disagreement with the two gentleman outside. ?(Moral: remember to be familiar with your holster as well as your gun. :-) ?) ?- ?Jim

Odd, the same thing happens when a shell gets chambered in a good ole scattergun. ;D

I usually carry a 22 pistol of some kind. Also carry my 45LC if I am in a spot that is pretty wild. Mainly for snakes, but you never know what is out there sometimes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back