Petrified Nut and Meteorite?? SW. Mo.

keeplooking4756

Jul 17, 2009
Looking for Artifacts and Found These.
One rock has a perfectly formed petrified nut of some type encased in it as if it were ready for eating.At first glance it appeared to be just normal nut wedged in there till I looked closer and saw it was fully preserved in stone form.Anyone recognize the nut type?? SW MO. Area. Also found three what appear to be meteorites. Two other pieces my buddy found were smaller and heat shaped. The smaller one looked like welding slag, had to have been very hot a one point.The larger one in the pic has multiple heat punctures and has some large black ash like deposit impregnated in the deeper valleys as well as slag type formations all over it. One heavy find literally. Will upload pics of the other two possible meteorites when I get them off my phone.......................

Attachments

• Nut.jpg
    Nut.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,449
  • Meterorite2.jpg
    Meterorite2.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 997
  • Meterorite 3.jpg
    Meterorite 3.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 844

Mosasaurfiend

Feb 8, 2009
Fort Worth, Texas
Afraid I know nothing of meteorites. So can't help you there.

Could you crop the first pic of the fossil, so just the fossil shows larger?
Cannot see it well enough to ID. Don't think it's a nut though

OP
OP
K

keeplooking4756

Jul 17, 2009
Here a few more closeups and another rock with a fossil imprint..................

Attachments

• Closer.jpg
    Closer.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,080
  • Closer1.jpg
    Closer1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,172
  • Closer2.jpg
    Closer2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 836
  • Other Fossil Find.jpg
    Other Fossil Find.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 882

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Neat piece. It's seabed fossils. I think the other stuff is slag. Definitely not meteorite, although I am not an expert.

OP
OP
K

keeplooking4756

Jul 17, 2009
Sorry about posting the unrelated rock pics.Missed the meteorite section.Have re-posted in there.
Thanks for the input!!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Whatever it is (blastoid is a reasonable guess), it is an internal cast ("steinkern") of the critter. The test (external shell) has dissolved away. The gap between the fossil and the surrounding limestone is the space filled originally by the test.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions