Petrified wood and some sort of stone tool

Phil_shiffley

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there,

I'm wondering if someone could help with a couple things. I was searching for petrified wood just south of Ellensburg, WA and ended up finding quite a bit. When I went home and washed it all, I realized a few pieces were some sort of stone tool. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the time period that makes sense for this area, and maybe can give me a rough window of when they were made. I'll post a photo of everything I've found that fits in my hand a little too well to be a coincidence (especially with a sharp edge on the correct side every time), and a close up of the scraper tool. I'm also wondering if they're made of petrified wood (some have sticks in them but some are whitef
ish)

I also am wondering about another piece of petrified wood. There are lots of "sticks" and twig segments stuck in this larger piece of some kind of mineral. Just wondering how a piece like this is made and what exactly I am looking at.

Thanks for the help!

Scraper too: https://i.imgur.com/A7myVos.jpg

All possible tools(?): https://i.imgur.com/7j6VnSv.jpg

Petrified wood chunk:
Https://i.imgur.com/PyyhcSf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wWFF3iX.jpg

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
For members who hate to hit strange links...

Scraper tool
A7myVos.jpg

All possible tools(?)
2.jpg

Petrified Wood Chunk
3.jpg 4.jpg

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do see stone tool shapes in there but it looks like they were quick and dirty tools. Nothing really dateable.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to ask the rock forum would give you more info I think looks like you found some cool stuff

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Phil and welcome to TNet! It looks like you're a danged good pet wood hunter! It's not uncommon to find petrified wood that's turned to agate. Agate
was a preferred mineral for primitive tools and you've found a whole bed of it. When you find a lot of pieces in one place it often indicates a place where a toolmaker flaked out preforms and worked them down into basic shapes. That being said there's probably quite a bit more where these came from. The large chunk is a really nice specimen and would probably bring a descent price.

Best wishes!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Phil_shiffley

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there,

I'm wondering if someone could help with a couple things. I was searching for petrified wood just south of Ellensburg, WA and ended up finding quite a bit. When I went home and washed it all, I realized a few pieces were some sort of stone tool. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the time period that makes sense for this area, and maybe can give me a rough window of when they were made. I'll post a photo of everything I've found that fits in my hand a little too well to be a coincidence (especially with a sharp edge on the correct side every time), and a close up of the scraper tool. I'm also wondering if they're made of petrified wood (some have sticks in them but some are whitef
ish)

I also am wondering about another piece of petrified wood. There are lots of "sticks" and twig segments stuck in this larger piece of some kind of mineral. Just wondering how a piece like this is made and what exactly I am looking at.

Thanks for the help!

Scraper too: https://i.imgur.com/A7myVos.jpg

All possible tools(?): https://i.imgur.com/7j6VnSv.jpg

Petrified wood chunk:
Https://i.imgur.com/PyyhcSf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wWFF3iX.jpg

Sorry about that! A lot of forums require you to upload your images to a host like imgur, good to know i can just upload them from now on :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Phil_shiffley

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Phil and welcome to TNet! It looks like you're a danged good pet wood hunter! It's not uncommon to find petrified wood that's turned to agate. Agate
was a preferred mineral for primitive tools and you've found a whole bed of it. When you find a lot of pieces in one place it often indicates a place where a toolmaker flaked out preforms and worked them down into basic shapes. That being said there's probably quite a bit more where these came from. The large chunk is a really nice specimen and would probably bring a descent price.

Best wishes!

Thank you very much for the reply! I have buckets full of the larger chunks, so that's really nice to know :) for now, I'm more of the person who would buy something like this than to sell it, but great to know for the future when my collection gets too big :) I'll be going back this weekend to see what I can find. There are thousands of really small flakes all over the hill side, must be all of the shavings from tool making eh?

Looking forward to sharing more and checking out all of your guys' cool finds as well!!

Thanks!

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Phil,
Those are some great pieces.
That big one is cool
Keep hunting

and ​Welcome to TreasureNet

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Phil_shiffley

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phil,
Those are some great pieces.
That big one is cool
Keep hunting

and ​Welcome to TreasureNet

Thanks, and I will! I didn't know anyone else would find them as cool as I do. I'll post some photos of some other pieces soon! Heading back to the honey hole in the morning

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread