🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Pewter or German Silver Plates

Texson74

Feb 20, 2024
I am a new member of TreasureNet and am new to collecting historical artifacts. Right now I am looking at military buttons and plates from the Revolutionary War through the end of the Civil War. Since I live in south Texas, I do not have really any opportunities to physically search for objects, so until I can travel to better sites, I am currently using eBay as my primary source for acquisitions. Due to the large number of reproductions and fakes on eBay, I have purchased several reference books (Albert, Tice, McGuinn & Bazelon, Mullinax, O'Donnell & Campbell) to attempt to limit any purchases to real artifacts. One thing I have recently seen for sale on eBay are described as either pewter or German silver "plates" that don't show up anywhere in my reference books. These plates typically represent various Civil War Confederate infantry or artillery units, and are supposedly made during the early years of the conflict. Each is about 2" square or rectangular in shape, with a small hole in each corner. While I do not remotely believe these are Civil War period and consider them as modern "tributes" or commemoratives rather that authentic, I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to what they might be or when they might have been produced. I can't get a clear picture of the back, but it says "1862 / FORT KILLEEN / 2ND INF / CSA". I have seen a couple of these representing different states and am simply trying to educate myself.
Thanks,
Texson74

s-l1600.jpg
s-l140.jpg

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a new member of TreasureNet and am new to collecting historical artifacts. Right now I am looking at military buttons and plates from the Revolutionary War through the end of the Civil War. Since I live in south Texas, I do not have really any opportunities to physically search for objects, so until I can travel to better sites, I am currently using eBay as my primary source for acquisitions. Due to the large number of reproductions and fakes on eBay, I have purchased several reference books (Albert, Tice, McGuinn & Bazelon, Mullinax, O'Donnell & Campbell) to attempt to limit any purchases to real artifacts. One thing I have recently seen for sale on eBay are described as either pewter or German silver "plates" that don't show up anywhere in my reference books. These plates typically represent various Civil War Confederate infantry or artillery units, and are supposedly made during the early years of the conflict. Each is about 2" square or rectangular in shape, with a small hole in each corner. While I do not remotely believe these are Civil War period and consider them as modern "tributes" or commemoratives rather that authentic, I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to what they might be or when they might have been produced. I can't get a clear picture of the back, but it says "1862 / FORT KILLEEN / 2ND INF / CSA". I have seen a couple of these representing different states and am simply trying to educate myself.
Thanks,
Texson74

s-l1600.jpg
s-l140.jpg

See previous conversation/post.

That said, Confederate memorabilia is highly faked. Unless it's from a reputable source, etc, I'd be highly skeptical. As already stated Confederate memorabilia typically commands high prices. So selling low is a red flag also.

All this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread