SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for PG&E as a contract engineer - equipment systems design and field engineering. Phone calls to my wife & son back in Michigan crying for me to go back "home". Of course suddenly popped up a hot job back there, and I resigned my position - though I absolutely wanted to stay - loved it there but they wouldn't come.

Out of all the contracts I worked (57), PG&E (Diablo Canyon) treated me the best.

Very cool, something else we have in common!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PG&E says their equipment prob caused the last fire/s
filed bankruptcy, but still operating and supplying power
you would think bankruptcy would put you out of biz
our power co. here check the wires and poles with helicopters
and bucket trucks, about every 2 yr or so @ least in my 60k
pop town

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article226921019.html

PG&E does/did all the stuff you mention above.

Upper Mngmt deferred some system upgrades and maintenance over the years.

Being found at least partially responsible for the devastating fires over the last two years, the costs were such that bankruptcy was the only choice. We/they are still going through the process.

As a retiree with a pension, I watch this closely as you can imagine! Supposedly, the Pension Plan for existing retirees is protected.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool, something else we have in common!

December 1987 to April 1988 - Maintenance Planner
Contracted to Pacific Gas & Electric Company, Diablo Canyon Power Plant, Avila Beach, CA
Prepared corrective maintenance work packages for repairs to mechanical plant equipment in preparation for back to back refueling outages. Wrote step-by-step instructions using computerized work station (PIMS).

OP
OP
cw0909

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
took a little digging, found how and why ca. electric co.
have a [FONT=&quot]Public Safety Power Shut-offs (PSPS)
--------------
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The State's investor-owned electric utilities, notably Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E), Southern California Edison, and San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E), may shut off electric power, referred to as "de-energization" or Public Safety Power Shut-offs (PSPS), to protect public safety under California law, specifically [/FONT]California Public Utilities Code[FONT=&quot] (PU Code) Sections 451 and 399.2(a).[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/deenergization/
[/FONT]

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The solution to wildfire started by wind and power lines is to force everybody cook their food with propane, kerosene, wood or charcoal using an open flame. :tard:

Well that'll never work!

It's California. They only eat raw fruits and vegetables, anyway.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Top 5...

5. Michigan

Michigan’s most interesting fact about its power outages may be that it has the highest outages per capita than other states. Weather-related outages caused 56 of the 155 outages in 2017. Faulty equipment took second place with 36 caused outages. Average outages lasted just over an hour and affected just over 2 million people over the course of the year.

Odd Outage Fact: A dashboard video revealed the cause of an outage that affected 4,500 customers for five hours to be a goose. The camera caught the animal falling lifelessly from the sky. The bird apparently hit a 7,200-volt line, which tripped a nearby transformer.

4. Ohio

Another Midwestern state joins Michigan in the nation’s top five. While Ohio suffered more outages than Michigan in 2017 (158) the outages affected only 663,000 customers. Similar to other states near the Great Lakes, Ohioans experience the most outages due to weather.

Odd Outage Fact: A cement mixer caused a blackout in Edgerton when the driver tried to pass a tractor but veered too far to the side. The truck was pulled into the ditch, and turned the mixer sideways, sending it into a power pole, which it severed.

3. New York

Yet again, weather remains the number one factor for power outages in this east coast state. New York had 165 outages affecting almost 900,000 people in 2017. Nor’easters are to blame for the most weather-related outages and had many suburban citizens calling for tree removal to help prevent the damage. Thankfully, the average duration of an outage is only about an hour.

Odd Outage Fact: A train derailment triggered a power outage in Manhattan. Nearly three dozen people were injured when two cars of a subway flew off the rails.The accident triggerd a blackout that stopped service on four subway lines.

2. Texas

Everything’s bigger in Texas. Including the number of power outages. Texas takes the number two spot for power outages in 2017 with 192 outages affecting 1.1 million people. Heatwaves and flooding caused the majority of the outages in Texas in 2017.

Odd Outage Fact: A buzzard got into some equipment in a Crandall substation. It resulted in an outage to 1,527 customers.

1. California

In 2017, California ranked number one in four of the categories that Eaton Blackout Tracker monitors. These categories are vehicle accidents, animal outages, faulty equipment and weather. The state saw 438 outages over the year that affected almost 3 million people. A quarter of power losses reported had no definite reason.

Odd Outage Fact: A bobcat climbed to the top of a power pole in Cambria, shorting out the circuit at the end of his climb and cutting power to 3,530 customers. The animal did not survive.

Madmox

Mar 26, 2014
PG&E says their equipment prob caused the last fire/s
filed bankruptcy, but still operating and supplying power
you would think bankruptcy would put you out of biz
our power co. here check the wires and poles with helicopters
and bucket trucks, about every 2 yr or so @ least in my 60k
pop town

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article226921019.html

Does your power company have 125,000 miles of powerlines? Let me run that number by you again....125,000 miles.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet the emergency generator company's are having a field day with this.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe its the ghost of Enron!

BOO!

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post #3: What a shame...PG&E was one of the richest power companies around...

The reason they're rich, they don't put money into maintenance, they put in in their pocket.

Post #4: JW you are exactly precisely correct, peeps want to be served and then sue.

They are paying for a service. If you went to a brake shop and paid for new brakes and they didn't do anything and charged you for a brake job and you get out on the road and your brakes don't work, you hit a tree and wind up paralyzed, you wouldn't sue them?

Post #14: There is ONE group of people who's shoulders bear full responsibility for the catastrophic wildfires last year.
The extreme There is ONE group of people who's shoulders bear full responsibility for the catastrophic wildfires last year.
The extreme environmental groups have made it impossible to perform forest management profitably, to clear vegetation below and around power lines...to responsibly use herbacides(herbicides) to maintain fire breaks, ect.

Environmental groups have nothing to do with PG&E lack of maintenance.
Oh yeah, herbicides is the way to go.
Go buy a gallon of Round Up( Glyphosate), pour it in a bucket and stick you hand in it for a while and don't wash it off, What do you think will happen?
Herbicides kill everything, Frogs, butterflies, bees, everything that's sprayed dies a painful death.

"New Study Shows Roundup Kills Bees. The most widely sprayed herbicide in the world kills honeybees, according to a new report. Glyphosate, an herbicide and active ingredient in Monsanto's (now Bayer's) Roundup weed killer, targets enzymes long assumed to be found only in plants.

https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/new-study-shows-roundup-kills-bees

Post #11: Granted, some of the wild fires over the last few years were caused by faulty equipment on PG&E's side. Most were due to poor forest management around the overhead lines. There is much blame to go around for that including Federal/State governments, private property owners as well as PG&E itself!

When I started with PG&E in 1968 the company upper management was made up of those who "came up through the ranks", lineman and engineers. By the time I retired 40 years later it was run by Bean Counters and Lawyers and much needed maintenance was "deferred" or just cancelled!!

SBR, I respect your input, as you are speaking with first hand knowledge.
But, all power companies have a right of way for their lines, that right of way includes a swath of land on either side of the lines that is a safety margin.
If the ROW is properly maintained, Then a fire should not affect the lines.

Here's how it's done:

You are right about the BC's, all they're looking at is how much money they can make.
More profit, more bonus for them.
That's the problem.

Post 27:
Does your power company have 125,000 miles of powerlines? Let me run that number by you again....125,000 miles.
Who pays for that 125,000 miles?

The customers, that's why they have to pay an electric bill.

This isn't a problem that happened yesterday.
Lack of maintenance has been going on for years.
But now, it's coming back to bite them in the butt.

Classic case of corporate greed.
Now, they are going bankrupt to either avoid or mitigate their losses and keep their money.
They should have to pay out all their money in the bank and sell their non essential assets and when they run out of that, they can pay with future profits.
All the people whose lives were ruined by PG&E deserve to be fairly compensated.

Post #7: It's not just California. How is the infrastructure in your neck of the woods?. You have cities where its not safe to drink the water, bridges on the verge of collapsing and roadways that will shake the screws out of your car. I was in China this year. I rode a train that ran 250 miles an hour. It's not just California, It's the whole country.

And That's my thoughts on this.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Respectfully, these groups of people play a CRITICAL role in forest management (or lack of).

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Respectfully, these groups of people play a CRITICAL role in forest management (or lack of).

I haven't seen that here. Its just too easy to blame specific groups - unless you want to blame those who withhold the funding necessary for forest management (or fisheries management, wildlife management, etc). There are professionals who know what to do. Just let them do their job.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When PG&E go completely bust after a decade or two of abuse from the courts and the State, where are you PG&E customers going be then? There is a monopoly in play and the only solution to the tyranny of monopoly is competition.

I fear the state will never allow the monopoly to dissolve. California legislature would probably try to seize the power business for the State. And, then the state can REALLY run up power prices while sending taxpayers towards the poorhouse at the speed of light. Just like Venezuela did when they nationalized their oil businesses.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't make posts better made in the Charter Members Politics Forum get this thread LOCKED!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't make posts better made in the Charter Members Politics Forum get this thread LOCKED!
Deleted.

I will refrain from discussing the actual cause of the catastrophic wildfires in California.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm happy to get electricity from a rural electric cooperative - owned by its members. It is so good that I would likely not consider a move to a location served by an electric company in business to enrich its CEO, screw the ratepayers, and pollute at will, or to an area served by a city, county, or state owned utility run by appointees.

As a retiree who relies on a small pension supplemented by my personal investment dividends, I will not buy any mutual fund that holds stocks of utilities, despite their dividends.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulltabfelix, no politics except in our politics forum.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks digger!

These are a bit different than the "rolling blackouts" we experience during high load/low capacity outages.

This is more akin to storm conditions (even though the wind hasn't hit as expected) where every foot of overhead line has to patrolled and cleared before it can be re-energized. Some of it can be done electronically, but much of has to be done the old fashion way...men in trucks or foot patrol!

Yep, I see that.
My brother in law is a lineman and he has worked every storm hit state in the SE over the years.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I should mention the path I took to get out of being NOTHING to some sense of success. Maybe it will open the right eyes.

There is a "professional" industry no one knows about except those lucky enough to stumble into = CONTRACTING yourself out. There's companies we called "Job Shops". And I ended up a Job Shopper, and that's why I ended up with 57 projects in 29 states. The money was very good, sometimes 3 times the wages of those we called "Direct Employees" = Worked for the "Company". There are likely still times that industry needs some "Temporary" employees = "Bring them in, get the job done, and send them home"

My specific career was Mechanical Piping Design, started off as a boiler maker = started actually as a helper. Got lucky enough to work my way into drafting, and then into design as I learned the industry - and was NEVER afraid to quit a job and go to another new and better one. Just what did I have to lose, as I had nothing before?

So, I took the dare, or the "opportunity" every step of the way = always left jobs for better opportunities. I was nothing before I stumbled into the industry or that philosophy...

Morale of the story, never stop dreaming and achieving, take the bold step sometimes = but after fully understanding the win/lose affects.

I was lost, living in a trailer in the boon docks and my best friends had moved on already. So I took that step just praying something better awaited.

Ended up with me feeling mighty fine up here tonight, with complete peace (but that does not say each day does not have its' challenge). Life is good up here with only the critters :)

It's not on my priorities to deal with local humans = they got their own gig, AND problems I don't need.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
DADS, went the same route as an engineer - became a consultant
worked like a dog and made a bunch of money, and then it hit me -> freedom was at hand
for the rest of my life I worked a maximum of 3 months per year (with one brief horrible interlude), 35 on

off topic, sorry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread