Philadelphia area points and artifacts - all of my finds

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured I'd post this not only to show off my finds (I have no one else to show them to!) but to serve as something for people to see what can be found around the Philadelphia area. I know I've always looked online for Philly-area stuff and there doesn't seem to be much to look at. Furthermore, it seems we don't have some of that amazing stuff available in other parts of the country (or at least that I've seen.) Anyway, I have two sites, one is relatively new so there aren't a whole lot of finds but there's some interesting stuff. You'll see a lot of jasper, common in this area but no so much elsewhere.

Site 1 - points - mainly woodland, but some archaic stuff thrown in. some other items of interest are some broken drills, graver, my only two pottery sherds and a tallied pendant.

site01_points.jpg

Site 1 - best point in my opinion is this nice multi-colored jasper fox creek point.

site01_point.jpg

Site 1 - closeup of the pottery sherds (cord marked and cob-impressed) and the tallied pendant.

site01_potpend.jpg

Site 1 - worked / utilized flakes, scrapers, preforms, knives, etc.

site01_flaketools.jpg

Site 1 - large quartzite chopper or core

site01_chopper.jpg

Site 1 - mano type grinding stone of sorts

site01_stone.jpg

Site 1 - waste flakes / debitage (yes, I collect it all to document the site - ultimately, I may pass off my collection to a local university, museum, or something.)

site01_debitage.jpg

Site 2 - mainly archaic / terminal archaic points as well as a couple of scrapers and two argillite chipped celts/adzes (one is broken.)

site02_points.jpg

Site 2 - waste flakes / debitage on left... worked / utilized flakes on the right

site02_flakes.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is incredible! I've been driving hours away to hunt sites (I still will) but I can't believe these can be found around me!

OP
OP
F

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is incredible! I've been driving hours away to hunt sites (I still will) but I can't believe these can be found around me!

Nothing, not even a single flake, was found in Pennypack and I've spent hours there. But again, I know for a fact stuff has been found there. I'll give you this little clue here... some of this stuff was found with Pennypack in sight.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice and colorful collection. You have found a lot !

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha I am done playing around in pennypack. Hmm, pennypack in sight... I'll have to think about that one. All I can think of is parks lol

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful material, and many nice and interesting finds. Great to see more finds from the mid Atlantic area. I'm not sure, but I think your multi colored jasper Fox Creek might be a later Paleo point? I really like the large Susquehanna on the bottom right in the 1st photo, I bet it is pretty thin? HH

OP
OP
F

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful material, and many nice and interesting finds. Great to see more finds from the mid Atlantic area. I'm not sure, but I think your multi colored jasper Fox Creek might be a later Paleo point? I really like the large Susquehanna on the bottom right in the 1st photo, I bet it is pretty thin? HH

I thought it might be a paleo point as well when I found it, but the general consensus is that it's a fox creek point. I've found a couple of broken bases with "small flutes" (which seem to be typical on some Fox Creek points) and I've always just called them Fox Creek as well. There's no grinding. The site is predominantly woodland. I can get some more photos if you'd like but I'm pretty sure it's a Fox Creek. As for the Susquehanna, yes, it's unbelievable thin and I have no idea how it survived! It was a shocker to find... It was on edge between two rocks. I just have a habit of grabbing thin rocks where I hunt so I grabbed it and when I saw the base I couldn't believe it. Here's an old photo of that one that focuses on my pants, but you get the point.

2.jpg

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like all them colors you find and a interesting mix of artifacts you have found. Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
F

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like all them colors you find and a interesting mix of artifacts you have found. Thanks for sharing

Thanks! Just wish I could find some more argillite stemmed points... like them the best, even over the jasper, for some reason !

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would literally hide bodies to be able and go to a site like this

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would literally hide bodies to be able and go to a site like this

I bet you hunt by yourself a lot after a statement like that.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I have hunted that area so I have a lot of appreciation for how much time and energy is represented by these photos. Well done my man! That Vera Cruz Jasper is a favorite of mine. Only ever found a handful of it.

OP
OP
F

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted that area so I have a lot of appreciation for how much time and energy is represented by these photos. Well done my man! That Vera Cruz Jasper is a favorite of mine. Only ever found a handful of it.

Haha, yes, finds around here are scarce! This is literally hundreds of hours of work (I go at lunch while I'm at work.)

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking collection. Lots of nice pieces in there and I really like all the Jasper. Looks like the Levanna Culture was pretty prevelant in your area.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to come back and admire all of your pieces. Im glad you decided to post them cause I was starting to think you were 1 of them people that knew everything but had never stepped outdoors to look for 1 time. Very nice and even though Im not from your area if they are as hard as my finds I deeply understand. I went the other day and found just 1 broken point the whole day and felt lucky to find it.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet you hunt by yourself a lot after a statement like that.

I'm ok with that, I've never found a native american spot, or one single native american relic. Stuff of dreams for me.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm ok with that, I've never found a native american spot, or one single native american relic. Stuff of dreams for me.

I like the internet but when you type something its very hard to tell when somebody is joking which I was. Just trying to have a little fun and didnt mean it to sound like I was serious cause I wasnt.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the internet but when you type something its very hard to tell when somebody is joking which I was. Just trying to have a little fun and didnt mean it to sound like I was serious cause I wasnt.

NO worries, I'm just super jelous of you guys and your NA artifacts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread