Photos Of USAF Main Gates-Past

Excellent Link!

Of course... not only have I driven through a great many of those, I also have a bunch of my own pics someplace of several gates!

I especially enjoyed seeing so many Air Police / Law Enforcement / Security Police / Security Forces / posted at those AF gates ... Ahhhh the memories. :tard:

Thanks Judie!

Great pics,judie.They did bring back some memories.I didn't see my first permanent sta. gate - Smokey Hill AFB (later named Schilling AFB),Salina,Ks.Did see my basic training gate - Parks AFB,Ca.

I did a hitch in the Air Force and every base where I was stationed after basic training was closed over time! My wife said they just couldn't get along without me. Actually I doubt if very many people even remember I was there! I was at Lackland AFB for basic training in San Antonio, Texas. Went to Reese AFB, Lubbock Texas. Sent over seas to Wheelus AB in Libya and then finished out my enlistment at McCoy AFB, Orlando, Florida. I was in the 3501st PTS at Reese, I was assigned to a remote site in Libya and can't remember the squadron, but it was at El Uotia weapons range out in the desert. Then I went to McCoy AFB that was a SAC base but I was assigned to the biggest TAC squadron in the Air Force, the 966AEW&C, an AWACS squadron and we flew outdated EC121 Super Constellations. The 966th is at Tinker AFB near Okla. City now and fly jet AWACS planes. I spent my youth and sewed my wild oats while in the Air Force, mainly had a good time and have lots of memories. Anyone ever in any of those places where I was? Monty

WOW...I like the one of Fort Dix, NJ. That is where my grandfather was sent when he returned from France during WWI. I have found both photos and drawings of Fort Dix some time ago, which has added flavor to my grandfather's military history. Thanks for sharing, Annmarie

Monty said:
Anyone ever in any of those places where I was? Monty

I guess we were all at Lackland. I really appreciate the photos, especially Clark since it is now buried under volcanic ash. I was there in the mid sixtys .

SandFiddler said:
Monty said:
Anyone ever in any of those places where I was? Monty

I guess we were all at Lackland. I really appreciate the photos, especially Clark since it is now buried under volcanic ash. I was there in the mid sixtys .

They had basic training at Lackland,Tx - Sampson,NY - Parks,Ca. early 50's.

I was lucky going to Parks from Missouri.Korea was still going strong and I guess Lackland was pretty full,so they put us on a troop train to Ca.That ride is a story in it's self,but for another time.Parks was just outside of Hayward,Ca,actually not bad.

Airforce 1967-1971, Air Police/Photolab, Gates I went through,Amarillo,Lackland,Hickam,Pearl Harbor,Tachakawa Japan,Korea{Seoul,Tagu,Suwon,Kunson,Kwanju,},tons of chowlines, saw riots between B"s&W "s in a chowline at Travis,while processing out of the Air Force. Flew on AC 131"s and KC 135"s. Got in bar fights with the Navy on base bars in Japan& Korea. Never a dull monent ,best time of my life.Thanks to all who served and dead or alive.

Cool post of POST, I grew up on Lackland AFB my first memories were there, 63-72 or so. That big golf ball tower was out my back yard off springdale. My dad was a drill sargent there B-4 going into aircraft engine mechanics. Retired from The AF and Nasa Now. We used to walk across the big field and fly model planes off the big paved vacant strips and go coke bottle hunting around the barracks (returnables back then) in the shrubs around the barakes, I found a Big AF ring once in a Big cedars low branches while crawling around in them. Ahh memories.
Imagin a bunch of Kids wandering around the AF base with wagons and bikes now a days, I bet it doesent happen anymore.
Imagine getting to detect there now.

SMALL WORLD AY??

I would love to detect the Presidio!!! Lived there from 68-71. My parents chose to live in base housing. My father was in charge of the stockade.

Yea, those days of Red Wagons, and kids riding their bikes, or rolling down the hills on cardboard...KIDS EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back