piano tuners

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a pretty involved process. My guess is you have a little wrench, like a spoke wrench for a bike, and you use it to tighten or loosen the piano wires. I think you need to know which note each wire has to be in comparrison to the other wires. Is that what they use tuning forks for? Heck, I don't know, why are you listening to me? ;D

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I had my antique shop I bought a couple of old pianos and had to have them tuned. First, look the thing over, probably around the back, for an electrical cord that leads to a long metal looking tube. This is an electronic tuner of sorts. Some have them, some don't. My neighbor tuned mine for me and as I recall it was a rather time consuming process, took him all day and he knew what he was doing. And this is about all I know. By the way, if you're thinking of selling it, I was rather surprised how cheap they go for. Ended up having to give one of them away just to get rid of the heavy thing. I think I made $35 on the other one when I finally sold it for $75.00. I'll never invest in another one unless it was really something special, like a signed throw away from Elton John, then maybe? :laughing7:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
I think it's a pretty involved process. My guess is you have a little wrench, like a spoke wrench for a bike, and you use it to tighten or loosen the piano wires. I think you need to know which note each wire has to be in comparrison to the other wires. Is that what they use tuning forks for? Heck, I don't know, why are you listening to me? ;D

Thank god you don't take the advise from packerbacker :laughing9:

All you need is a good tuning hammer and 2 mutes... AT least packerbacker got the tuning hammer part right, although called a hammer it acts like a wrench. To save you money, you don't even need the tuning hammer, I use an old roller skate key from the 60's and it works wonders. Another tip: If you don't have the mutes you can use the following method. Since there are 3 wires for each note, simply take wire cutters and cut 2 of them from every note. Since there are 88 keys, you are lessening the amount of wire to worry about by 176. Then add the key and start turning it like silly until you get a good pitch.

I hope this helps....

All kidding aside, let a professional do it.. It is not an easy task and would probably take years of training to learn anyway. It is a very complicated task, that includes too much to even start talking about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread