Pick up bank robbed yesterday....

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I do my pick ups on Tuesdays.

Yesterday I noticed a dozen or so police cars all around my pick up bank. It wasn't my day to pick up coin so I didn't stop.

Today I found out that they had been robbed. Some guy walked in and apparently tried to rob the bank. He apparently didn't get very far as from what I gather the cops were waiting for him when he walked out...

The tellers today were as calm as they could be. I didn't know about the robbery when I picked up my halves but knowing what I know now I find it a little weird that they wouldn't even seem fazed by what happened.

Today was a much better day than the past few weeks. I found more today than I have found in the past 4 weeks...

No skunks, although one box did yield just one 40%er.

Came close to a dream box on one box but fell short of the required 10%.... Lots of rolls with silver showing but none of them had more than the single silver half in the roll.... Others, with no silver showing had as many as four in a roll....

Only one NIFC and no proofs.

All in all a good day, especially compared to recent weeks.

Edited to add...

Found two Bens....

Most of the silver was very dirty and almost impossible to see if I just rim checked. Found 11 "silvered" clad coins. Someone is going through a lot of trouble to make clad halves look like silver halves.

Last week I found a mirror polished 1977 half. I had to check it twice to make sure it wasn't a proof. Under a good lighted loupe I could make out the scratches from it being polished.

Upvote 0
JJtheRollHunter said:
Why do people think they can rob banks? Pure stupidity. Anyway, congrats on the silver. :icon_thumright:

I would hate to speculate on how it could be done, but I'm sure it is possible...

From what I gather the alarm has been triggered before he even got through the double doors.

Considering the punishment, yes I would say it was pure stupidity. This guy will most likely not see freedom again. I think the minimum sentence is 20 years and he was around 45 so he will probably never make it out of prison.

Part of me wants to beat the crap out of this guy just for scaring those tellers. They are some of the nicest people you'd ever meet.

The tellers today were as calm as they could be. I didn't know about the robbery when I picked up my halves but knowing what I know now I find it a little weird that they wouldn't even seem fazed by what happened.
its not weird at all. most bank robberies are not like the days of old where gun toting bandits hold everyone hostage. most of the time the only one who knows what is going on is the teller who was handed the note. usually its over before everyone realizes what happened. they also wouldn't be fazed if they had been through robberies before. here in Phila. i don't think there is a teller out here who hasn't been through the experience several times.

Im more concerned with -- "Most of the silver was very dirty and almost impossible to see if I just rim checked. Found 11 "silvered" clad coins. Someone is going through a lot of trouble to make clad halves look like silver halves."

What makes you think someone is donig it and why?

quiksilver said:
Im more concerned with -- "Most of the silver was very dirty and almost impossible to see if I just rim checked. Found 11 "silvered" clad coins. Someone is going through a lot of trouble to make clad halves look like silver halves."

What makes you think someone is donig it and why?

Someone around here has WAY too much time on their hands.

They are coloring clad coins to make them look like silver. I usually find a half dozen or so of these coins every week here.

Maybe it is their way of discouraging other CRH'ers?

Maybe they just get a kick out of it?

They are also taking a dremel tool and polishing clad coins to make them look like proofs. I have six of these coins. At first glance they look like proofs but when you look at them under a loupe you can make out the tiny scratches from them having been polished.

The amount of time required to do this is no small matter at least to me. I dont have the time to do this, just to try to discourage someone from this hobby...

One of my dump banks was the scene of the next Bonnie and Clyde...couple robbed the bank and got away but the cops spotted them at a gas station, filling up, not even a mile away and pursued...

It ended in a gunfight where 1 officer was shot in the leg and the 2 assailants where gunned down. Colorado is on track now for the biggest bank robbery year in decades.

JJtheRollHunter said:
Why do people think they can rob banks? Pure stupidity. Anyway, congrats on the silver. :icon_thumright:
You can't, however, expect to get far just walking in.

placerman said:
Found 11 "silvered" clad coins. Someone is going through a lot of trouble to make clad halves look like silver halves.

Last week I found a mirror polished 1977 half. I had to check it twice to make sure it wasn't a proof. Under a good lighted loupe I could make out the scratches from it being polished.

Found a 71 with the edge painted silver. I don't get that much around here but plenty of tagged coins.

If it aint got an "S" minmark it aint proof, and you don't need a loupe to see the mint mark.

Mojo

placerman said:
Considering the punishment, yes I would say it was pure stupidity. This guy will most likely not see freedom again. I think the minimum sentence is 20 years and he was around 45 so he will probably never make it out of prison.

20 years-yeah, right. Not these days. Here's the results of a local idiot's spree:

http://www.nj.com/south/index.ssf/2010/02/hopewell_man_sentenced_for_ban.html

"CAMDEN – A Hopewell, Cumberland County, man was sentenced to 38 months in federal prison today for his role in the planning and committing of three bank robberies in southern New Jersey, U.S. Attorney Paul J. Fishman announced.

U.S. District Judge Robert B. Kugler also ordered Dustin Corney, 32, to pay $11,010 in restitution and to serve three years of supervised release upon the completion of his prison term.

Corney pleaded guilty before Judge Kugler on Oct. 23, 2009, to one count of bank robbery, that charged him specifically for the April 18, 2009, robbery of a Sun National Bank branch in Vineland of approximately $8,957. Corney, however, also admitted his role in two additional bank robberies. "

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back