What's new

Picked up some silver

jim4silver

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
3,662
Reaction score
496
Golden Thread
0
Only got 2- 40%s out of 3 boxes.....WTF!!? Might as well have been skunks.

But, I was shopping for silver bars today too. My main coin store had sold out of 10 ounce bars, someone bought over 100 of them at 3 dollars premium over spot per ounce this morning. I went to another store I often visit and was able to score a couple of Engelhard 10 ouncers and a few one ouncers for .85 over spot today. Awesome price. I would have bought more if they had them at that price, but that was all they had.

I hope gold and silver keep climbing back up.

Jim
 
Upvote 0
Nice buys Jim... darn hard to beat that small premium these days.

Sorry about the boxes though. =(

~Dave
 
I bought $10 face of mercs at 10x face today.

And don't worry...with the blank check.....I mean "bailout" of the financial system inflation, maybe even hyperinflation is bound to occur sending gold and silver back up.
 
phillips24 said:
I bought $10 face of mercs at 10x face today.

And don't worry...with the blank check.....I mean "bailout" of the financial system inflation, maybe even hyperinflation is bound to occur sending gold and silver back up.


The mercs are beautiful coins. But I am a bit leary of buying any bulk 90% other than later year 90% halves, assuming you can get them at the same price as dimes and quarters. Generally, these halves have less wear and thus more silver per dollar face value, especially the 64 Kennedys. Walkers tend to be highly worn down, but Franklins are often not too bad if you can pick out the ones you want. One of my coin stores will let me sift thru a big bucket of them and pick out the ones I want. The ones from 60s tend to look pretty good. I have picked up some bulk Walkers just cause they are cool coins and I was able to get them at the same price as Kennedys, but you can easily see the difference when you stack them up and compare with the Kennedys. Some coin stores sell the old, worn bulk Walkers for more than the Kennedys. I dont get that. No real numismatic value for Walkers that are heavily worn.

I think there is a chance someday in the future that dealers will start buying 90% by weight instead of by number of coins. If that does happen, you will have a better time with less worn coins, no matter what denomination you buy.
It would seem to me that there would be quite a difference in weight (enough to make a coin dealer think) between $1000 face of Walkers vs. 64 Kennedys.

But with the mercs you could luck into some good years that you have been looking for.

Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom