picking stock pickers brain

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
First no rush.
Outside of long term stocks,what to gain from.
Interest low and its boring trying to earn interest on puny interest.
Secondly,from a perspective of dollar value and future speculation questioning security of it,what (and its understood its your opinion) is a secure investment or asset to convert funds into as opposed to a market fund? Conservatively.
Thanks for your time.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends a lot on your age and investment horizon.

I think a good no load diversified dividend fund is a good way to go. I am also a fan of timber assets (I own plum creek timber stock PCL) which pay a nice dividend and should benefit from an improving housing market. They are the largest land owner after the government. But any specific stock is more risky.

I'm a little nervous about long maturity bonds as they can get really hit when rates rise. But if you have to own bonds I'd take high quality corporate bonds over government bonds.

Let me know some more info and I can give you more feedback. Feel free to message me if you want.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
relevantchair,

I seem to recall there's a ratio of stocks versus bonds based on age.....ie; let's say you're 60 years of age.....go with 60% interest bearing instruments....as stockpicker mentioned elsewhere maybe a high grade corporate bond index fund and say 40% blue chip dividend index fund.....just rebalance occasionally and you should be good to go.

I like the k.i.s.s. method...lol....= keep it simple stupid......it gives you more time and energy for other things in life such
as having fun on the forum.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
releventchair

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Simple is good. What little i,ve studied, those who are actively moving investments constantly spend quite a bit of time worrying trying to maximize gains.

Thanks neighbor!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Releventchair,

LOL.....just to give you a real life experience.....I spent last year doing stock flips, etc....mostly playing blue chip dividend stocks....

My wife's portfolio which I also manage....I took more of a buy and hold approach......guess what her portfolio outperformed mine.....lol....

Regards + HH

Bill

Simple is good. What little i,ve studied, those who are actively moving investments constantly spend quite a bit of time worrying trying to maximize gains.

Thanks neighbor!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread