pig roast / updated

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My own experience with whole carcase roasting is open pit.Great eating.Lots of work around the clock.
Low temp(under 225)for long hours,12 to 20,produces succulent,tender meat.
Higher temperatures will cook the meat but it will be tough if it had a tendency toward toughness to begin with.

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
No expert here but have cooked whole hogs as well as thousands of pounds of pork and beef in a commercial bbq pit that I own.
There is between 35 to 45 percent waste on a whole hog.
I cook pork shoulders or pork butts. Still some shrinkage but nothing like the complete animal.

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pig on order,100lber($89)sat august 9,all you freaks and super freaks are invited ;D

S

stefen

A friend build a deep pit BBQ in his back yard that is approximatgely 3' wide X 6' long and 4' deep and is lined with concrete block (cinder block).

To BBQ, he builds a large wood fire in the bottom and lets it build up a 4 to 6" layer of hot coals. He then places pans of seasoned beef on top of the coals, using long steel hooked rods, then covers the pit with a heavy steel plate which is then covered with a 8 to 12" layer of earth.

After roasting 6 to 8 hours, the earth and steel plate are removed and the pans of meat are hooked and lifted out...

The meat literally falls apart...

We have used this for community dinners, 4-H events, 4th of July and other special times.

Also works well for lamb, pork, chicken and turkey.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread