Pike Co IL Tools

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Here are pics of some tools I found back in June in Pike Co Illinois and I don't think I posted any pictures. Rusty - this is to show you that I have love for the tools. All are nice Burlington except the one hornstone piece. My camera is a POS for I apologize for that. A point or two, a blade or two, a couple of really nice scrapers, the best Hopewell core I've ever found. The 2nd picture is a handful of addition cores I've found on the site. The rest of the material in the 2nd photo is from different locations. The only tools I left out of the picture are the bladelets as I already put them away.

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• P1110239.JPG
    P1110239.JPG
    526.5 KB · Views: 249
  • P1110240.JPG
    P1110240.JPG
    454.4 KB · Views: 250
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Oh, and I think the hoe in the first picture is Mill Creek and not Burlington, but not 100% sure.

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice tools and great display ! Did you get my message about Camano? I sent it a dozen times, but the treasurenet system never verifeid that it was actually sent or not...

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like your collection and finds:thumbsup: Is that a stone bead in the case or a fossilized plant stem.:icon_scratch:Thanks for posting

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Nice tools and great display ! Did you get my message about Camano? I sent it a dozen times, but the treasurenet system never verifeid that it was actually sent or not...

Ha! Yeah I got it - I appreciate the help. Once I got back on the West side of the mountains I didn't have the opportunity to hunt rocks. You been hunting much?

Thanks,
Joe

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds glad to see you posting some. Now lets see the frame under that photo.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Rock - I have some decent frames of points, but that's not one of them. That frame holds 7 crappy broken points, a below average scraper and two poorly made but largely complete points. It also represents the genesis of my collecting career. I had starting hunting artifacts almost 5 years before that day but hadn't found a stone tool yet. That's right, I hunted nearly 5 years before I found a single point, even a broken one. I found that frame of artifacts in Macon Co IL in the spring of '99. I have found a couple dozen frames of nice points since then, but those are the first.

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock - I have some decent frames of points, but that's not one of them. That frame holds 7 crappy broken points, a below average scraper and two poorly made but largely complete points. It also represents the genesis of my collecting career. I had starting hunting artifacts almost 5 years before that day but hadn't found a stone tool yet. That's right, I hunted nearly 5 years before I found a single point, even a broken one. I found that frame of artifacts in Macon Co IL in the spring of '99. I have found a couple dozen frames of nice points since then, but those are the first.

Thats funny I still have 2 frames from my first yr of hunting. I wont post them either due to what I thought was artifacts but turned out to be mostly rocks and a few artifacts.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong but the grey piece is likely Cobden Chert from Southern Illinois and not Hornstone.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I may be wrong but the grey piece is likely Cobden Chert from Southern Illinois and not Hornstone.

Good call, you're correct. It is Cobden - just lazily refer to a handful of different materials (Cobden, Dongola, etc...) as hornstone without any real differentiation.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Nice spade in the first pic. I remember you telling me about those tools. Man!! They are sweet. Sure beats the old crude "plow bitten" stuff. Did you find the pipe on that trip? I have not hunted much at all this summer, well.... In comparison to past summers. I've been in over my head it seems all summer. If not this, it's that. Now I have my boat stripped down. I forgot I wasn't preprogrammed to spray gelcoat. Just got my first failing spray sanded off. I found a few points in my boat while tearing it apart. No post worthy finds.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Nice spade in the first pic. I remember you telling me about those tools. Man!! They are sweet. Sure beats the old crude "plow bitten" stuff. Did you find the pipe on that trip? I have not hunted much at all this summer, well.... In comparison to past summers. I've been in over my head it seems all summer. If not this, it's that. Now I have my boat stripped down. I forgot I wasn't preprogrammed to spray gelcoat. Just got my first failing spray sanded off. I found a few points in my boat while tearing it apart. No post worthy finds.

I found the pipe in Ohio 8 or 9 years ago.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012

Rock, watch out for ol Joe! He will tell you I have some decent points. Then he'll hand you a piece like this as a gift.

image-2141593413.jpg

You think he might have a few decent points?? He's got eagle eyes. Picks stuff like this up!

image-2124779162.jpg

He's got a couple young ones that are pretty good too!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Jerseyville is Mecca as far as I'm concerned for finding artifacts in North America. You're very fortunate to be located there. There are great Paleo, Archaic, Woodland and Mississippian finds up there. I used to live in O'fallon IL. I still get back there from time to time to hunt rocks.

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
I'm pretty spoiled. All of my artifacts have been found in the same 3-5 acre field. I call it The Field That Never Fails. We have found quite a wide chronological spectrum of artifacts but mostly Archaic and Woodland. You can probably dig through my profile, an find the threads I've started on some of my pieces. My ex wife lives in O'fallon. Find any good artifacts out east?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions