What's new

Pile o' shark teeth and other fossils

Twitch

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
2,884
Reaction score
2,359
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Pulled out a box of teeth and fossils so I could send a few of them to the nephew. Thought I'd take some photo's and post them. Particularly the first picture has some of the oddity finds. I think a few of them are dolphin teeth but I really don't know. Any thoughts on any of the photo's are greatly appreciated. These all came off the Chesapeake bay in 2012-2013. Found between myself, the wife and the boys (4 & 6 at the time).

Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4335.webp
    IMG_4335.webp
    371.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_4331.webp
    IMG_4331.webp
    558.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_4332.webp
    IMG_4332.webp
    444.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_4337.webp
    IMG_4337.webp
    509.3 KB · Views: 156
some more pics
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4334.webp
    IMG_4334.webp
    504.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_4336.webp
    IMG_4336.webp
    459.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_4333.webp
    IMG_4333.webp
    427 KB · Views: 142
nice assortment of fossils. With the first photo, top from left to right the first three look like inner ear bones of a dolphin. then there is a cow shark tooth and a nice one at that, the last fossil on the top row looks to me like a canine?? molar.
you have some vertebrae in there, porpoise teeth and a partial sting ray plate.

Second photo shows a nice mix of teeth from Hemipristis Serra, Goblin, Bull, Lemon, Tiger, and maybe even mako. Also some single smaller stingray plates.

Third photo has more hemi's, bulls, etc a nice megladon and a fragladon lol (fragmented piece of meg tooth8-))

Fourth photo is a bunch of broken bones, check them for feeding damage. Whenever I dive in the rivers, I always bring up the bone pieces, I look for the feeding damage. Damage = keep and no feeding damage = go back into the drink.
 
Mike - thanks for the feedback, super helpful. I knew the first couple pictures were something but never thought of ears bones. What do you think of the canine-ish molar? I figured it was a dolphin molar but maybe I'm an idiot and they don't have molars? My wife found the Megladon and the fragladon on the same day, and then proceeded to name the whole one Nemo. I believe some of the bones have feeding marks on them. I'll need to get them back out to verify. Thanks again for the help.
 
Twitch, I ma not sure what the molar is from, at first I thought wolf and then realized the quarter for size and know that is not the case. So I was thinking, maybe something like fox, feline or raccoon. I wish Harry Pristis would comment on this, I bet he knows what it is.
 
Mike - I assumed that molar was from a dolphin or something but I have no idea if that's what it would look like.
 
Twitch, nice collection! The "molar" in question is, I believe, a squalodon tooth. Squalodon calvertensis was a long snouted whale that lived 33 to 14 million years ago. Nice find!
 
Whats the" Needle " one in the first picture and Eel tooth?

Nice haul.
 
Twitch, nice collection! The "molar" in question is, I believe, a squalodon tooth. Squalodon calvertensis was a long snouted whale that lived 33 to 14 million years ago. Nice find!

Kray - Thanks for the ID.
 
Whats the" Needle " one in the first picture and Eel tooth?

Nice haul.

Thanks. I'm not sure what it is. It's the smallest, finest fossil we found there. Really no idea at all what it is.
 
I need to see some better pictures of the needle (closer up and with multiple angles), but I think it might be a catfish barb
CatfishSpine_zps1bba56a6.webp
 
I agree with Ninja, some kind of fish fin spine.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom