Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pileated Woodpecker is the largest living woodpecker in North America. We happened to see two of them dancing and presumably courting in the driveway this morning. We seldom see two of these birds together, and have never seen them dance before, so this was pretty cool for us. (The video is pretty far away, but still viewable. We didn't want to walk toward them and interrupt or frighten them.)

I had the pleasure of seeing a few,even a video of one looking for food.Once you hear one you never forget what is making that racket!.In the Great Smoky Mountains they are know by the locals as Wood hens. Awesome creature.

DSCN7951_InPixio.jpg

DSCN6932_InPixio.jpg

Love those pileateds!! They were not mating, they do that in the spring. Some say the ivory billed woodpecker still exists in remote areas in the south, it is the largest woodpecker in the US. I'm lucky to have had nesting pileated woodpeckers right near my house for at least twelve years. I see them almost daily, one of the joys in my life. They do make a racket, and supposedly the Woody Woodpecker noise is patterned after the pileated's'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back