What's new

pinpointers - inline or handheld , are these essential or a nice addition ?

Argentium

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
9,079
Reaction score
5,580
Golden Thread
0
Location
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings enthusiasts ! I've have been pondering the pinpointer idea for my MXT, what

might you recommend ? essential , luxury , or essential luxury ? Thank you in advance for

your input . Argentium.
 
I think pinpointers are essential. I like the handheld kind. The Garrett ProPointer is excellent and you can pick one up for around $130. I wouldn't go hunting without it these days. It cuts my recovery time significantly. No matter how good you think you are at pinpointing with your MD, you can still benefit from having a separate pinpointer.
 
I agree - pinpointers are very essential and will save you a ton of time. I use a Whites XLT and thought using the pinpoint mode on the detector got me close enough and then I would dig and test handfulls of soil until I found my target. A friend loaned me his Whites Bullseye to try, and I love it. You won't believe how much more quicker you will be able to to find targets. There are several brands of pinpointers, and they probably all do a pretty good job of letting you know then you have pointer within an inch or so from the target.
 
I bought a cheapy a year ago to find out for myself. Well I'm still using that harbour freight cheapy, works like the day I got it. Only 15 bucks to find out if you like it and it helps recovery.
 
Now that I've got an Explorer SE it is essential.
Over 10 years on my GTAx1000 and the pinpoint is awesome. Pinpoint on the Explorer isn't that great.
I have a Propointer and would never hunt again without it.
It's like TV. Once you watch HD there is no going back.
 
Yep, I use the $15 Harbor freight pinpointer and leave my $99.00 Automax V4 at home.
Not a necessity, but they do save time.


GG~
 
I just got a Garret propointer last week. It makes a huge difference. Especially if the target is only a few inches deep. In that case I just use a screwdriver to pop the object out. No need to dig with a trowel. Great for digging clad. If the object is deeper and I need to dig then the pinpointer lets me know how close I am to the object or if it's in the plug. Nice thing about the Propointer is it lets you know how close or far away you are from the object by the rate at which it beeps. Slow beep = farther away. Faster beeps = getting closer. A steady flat-line beep means you're right on top of it. I wouldn't leave home without it.
 
Swartzie said:
I just got a Garret propointer last week. It makes a huge difference. Especially if the target is only a few inches deep. In that case I just use a screwdriver to pop the object out. No need to dig with a trowel. Great for digging clad. If the object is deeper and I need to dig then the pinpointer lets me know how close I am to the object or if it's in the plug. Nice thing about the Propointer is it lets you know how close or far away you are from the object by the rate at which it beeps. Slow beep = farther away. Faster beeps = getting closer. A steady flat-line beep means you're right on top of it. I wouldn't leave home without it.

Now that sounds like a great pinpointer. :thumbsup:
 
I think they are essential I remember all the times I just couldn't find the object I was looking for.
When I got my first pin pointer it made a big difference now I use the Garrett Pro-Pointer and I love it.

Joe
 

Attachments

  • pinpointer.webp
    pinpointer.webp
    31.5 KB · Views: 276
  • pinpointer.webp
    pinpointer.webp
    31.5 KB · Views: 276
IN LINE

I always hear "I gotta go back I lost my pointer "

Never lost my IN LINE.. It always follows me when it gets dropped...I have tried to throw it away but it only comes back to hit me.. ;D ;D ;D
 
Presently I'm using the Garrett and I like it just fine. However, when I had my MXT I used the Sun-Ray inline DX-1. The DX-1 was awesome with the MXT. It is made to mount on the detector's shaft but, I mounted it on the side of the detector's box. Made all the difference in the world in restoring some balance to the whole unit. The detector just felt heavier with the probe on the shaft. Also, with the MXT you can detune the probe, (by clicking the trigger 2-3 times) so that only the tip is hot. I wish they made a Sun Ray for my X-70, I would buy it in a minute.
 
Was out hunting and another fellow had a PistolProbe. Compared it with my Garrett Propointer and it can detect further/deeper than mine.
 
Michaelangelo said:
Bought one from Harbour Freight too. Works great and only 15 bucks!! Saves me a load of time.

I just got the same one this week and it definately saves time. I wish I would have bought one when I bought my detector.

HH Charlie
 
You never here the in line probe guys talk about how many times the have detected for quite a while only to realize the switch was in the probe postion and they were not getting any signals? Also the other way, trying to use the probe and the switch is set to coils. I know it happens.

One other problem for me with an in line probe was the switching. Sometimes my detector would go nuts after switched back to the coil. This was just a design error, they could simply try a make before break switch or a normal switch if that is what they are using. I am almost sure the signal was being made before the ground, causing the signal to be out of tolerance. For the non electronic knowledgeable, the switch needed to function differently.

Ed D.
 
Pinpointers are a great help and speed up recovery considerably at times. I've used hand held and have the sunray inline probe on my MXT. I love the function of the sunray, but it is only usable on the machines it was designed for. I've also lost a handheld pinpointer or two which won't happen with an inlilne probe as it is attached. I now have a lanyard attached to my hand helds that hooks to my belt loops.
HH
Bill
 
They need to make a pinpointer that has a :sign13: cutting edge and a point on it :sign13: so you can penetrate the ground initially with the probe. Not that I want yo dig with it I want to force it in the direction I think the target is and pop out a perfect plug creating less damage to areas hunted.
 
I just picked up the Garrett Propointer a couple of weeks ago. It cuts down my detecting time and increases my gold finds and I would repeat what Carl Maldon said,"Don't leave home without it".

P.S. Do a review of pin pointers and get the one of your choice. The Garrett is easy to use and reliable.

Happy hunting.
 
We have two Garret propointers and would not detect without them.

For those who do not know----- you can detune the Garrett by holding it close to a metal object them turning it on. I have had to do this several times on objects in deep holes and the pinpointer is going nuts at the bottom. Just hold the pinpointer in the hole and turn it on. A little practice and this works great.
Also the propointer does have a blade edge along the side which works great in the sand and/or wood chips.

Just my thoughts
Joe
 
you can detune the Garrett by holding it close to a metal object them turning it on.

I've got the Garrett too and this "feature" is actually VERY useful at times. There are many times when you've found a big tin can but don't know it yet. That's when this detuning can clue you into the fact that what you are detecting is actually quite larger than expected.

Also, I keep hearing people talk about depth on pinpointers. You actually DON'T want a lot of depth capability on a pinpointer. Two inches or so is actually ideal. Any more than that and you really aren't "pinpointing". You're just "detecting" again which is really what your full size detector is for.

Finally, the fact that the Garrett beeps faster as you get closer to the target is a HUGE help. I've also got the cheapo Harbor Freight model and it just gives a steady tone. I find it to be much harder to use than the Garrett because of this. When the Garrett signal changes from faster beeps to a steady tone you know that you are basically touching the item with the tip. Now THAT is how a pinpointer is supposed to work! :wink:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom