Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dear friends,

I am reviewing different pinpointers, preparing to make a purchase, and am trying to put together a list of the ones sold by manufacturers and their dealers here in the USA. The type I prefer all have a probe shaft extending from the control compartment and are not referred to as "stud finders", etc..

So far, I have identified the ones listed below. Have I missed any that you know of, that fit the above preferences ?
(Please give the name under which it is marketed, or a web address where it can be found.)

See my post #16 for updated list (Now up to 9 pinpointers)

#1) Automax Precision V4
#2) MD detectors, model MD-2002
#3) Tinytec Ultraluxe Probe
#4) Vibra-Probe 560
#5) Whites Electronics, Bullseye
#6) Wizard Industries, Wizard Vib-Probe (handgun shaped)

Thanks for the helps everyone !

Todd ;D

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Whites Bullseye wins. ;D No further replies necessary. ;D :D Just my humble opinion. Just be prepared to fix that dang momentary switch. ::)

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I personally think you missed the best one that will work with your Ace......

YF-1_MOUNTED_ON_ACE_250_2.jpg

Sunray YF-1 Probe

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Or this...

Attachments

• pocket8.jpg
    pocket8.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 724

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunray makes so fine probes. The one Stormtrooper shows would be excellent. All inline probes have a better usefulness than the others.

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done
Vibraprobe, Completly waterproof and works .

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
automaxx works great for me just really bulky and I drop the thing at least 10 times a hunt. Even using the belt clip it has.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I had an Automaxx but it was huge. Got a vibraprobe and used it for 3 years. Now have a Sunray DX1 and it is hands down the best. Sorry, there is no debate, not even the price. I had a hard time dishing out the cash for it but sooooo glad I did. And for those that think a pinpointer is a waste. YOUR NUTS. LOL ;D

HH

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mirage said:
Whites Bullseye wins. ;D No further replies necessary. ;D :D Just my humble opinion. Just be prepared to fix that dang momentary switch. ::)

Thanks for your reply Mirage !

Here's something that may interest you.

I recently sent an email to White's with some questions on the Bullseye. Got a prompt reply from their Steve Howard. He said that White's changed to a heavy duty push button in February of 2007, and that all current models should have it. Ummmm, well, I had also asked in my email if there was a way to identify a unit with a possible trouble-prone switch, i.e. by the serial number or some other method. Steve replied that White's doesn't serial number these units.

I'm going to send another email and ask if there was a recall notice to the White's dealers, or are units still being sold that were made prior to Feb., 2007. Also, I am going to ask if there is any visual way to determine pre versus post Feb., 2007 switches, or do they look exactly the same. I really wouldn't want to buy a unit with a known trouble-prone switch !

Todd

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all responders so far ! ;D

Folks, I will do a thorough review of all the different makes and models of pinpointers suggested, before making my final decision. But to erikk, I feel it's only fair to say that the UniProbe @ $299.00 is out of my price range right now. I am still a "newbie" to metal detecting and putting that much money into a PP'r, while still using an entry level $249.95 Ace250 wouldn't be prudent. Unless my review gets me really excited about a certain make/model, to where I "just have to have it", me thinks I'll probably be topping out at around $100.00. Still, as I inferred, I may spend more if I just can't resist the features, operation, etc.. of a certain unit. User opinions will be a big help....you betcha !

Todd :)

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Although I have a probe, I very rarely use it, I just dig till it´s out, then make smaller lumps of the mud where it is, then take the lumps in my hand and pass them over the top of the coil, till I find the lump it´s in, then break that down, passing it over again, and I have what I´m looking for. Only if after about 8 inches of digging, and no sign that the targets out, will I revert to using the probe, just to check the hole walls.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Missed the TreasureMate. Very spendy, but one of the best in my opinion and the best for sniping small gold if you're a prospector. The Sunray is great on tid machines as well. I've found pinpointers a great tool in many instances and seldom hunt without one.
Good luck on whatever you choose.
HH
Bill

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rayredditch said:
Although I have a probe, I very rarely use it, I just dig till it out, then make smaller lumps of the mud where it is, then take the lumps in my hand and pass them over the top of the coil, till I find the lump it´s in, then break that down, passing it over again, and I have what I´m looking for. Only if after about 8 inches of digging, and no sign that the targets out, will I revert to using the probe, just to check the hole walls.

Thanks rayredditch....I use that method too; a very logical approach !

Todd ;D

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
luvsdux said:
Missed the TreasureMate. Very spendy, but one of the best in my opinion and the best for sniping small gold if you're a prospector. The Sunray is great on tid machines as well. I've found pinpointers a great tool in many instances and seldom hunt without one.
Good luck on whatever you choose.
HH
Bill

Thanks Bill ! I have now added the Tesoro-made "Treasure Mate" to my review list (See my new list posted below.).
This one is pushing the cost envelope for me at the $179.00 msrp, but as I indicated earlier in this thread, after completing my reviews, I may "just have to have it !". ;)

I sent an email to Treasure West in Bend, OR, and in reply to my question, Les said (paraphrasing here)that the Treasure Mate can see targets approx. 2 inches up the side of the probe. This is one of the features I am trying to decide which is best, i.e. tip-only-sensitive, like the Vibra Probe 560, or tip-and-side-of-probe-sensitive models like Treasure Mate, Tinytec Utraluxe, and Wizard Vib-Probe, to name a few examples. I tried to do a serious study on this particular feature, listing the pros and cons, etc. and so far am still undecided, but leaning toward tip-only-sensitive. Facts and opinions on this issue are needed and appreciated folks !

Todd ;D

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My new and updated list as of 8-27-2007:

See original post for intent and unit qualifications.
Any further recommendations you may have are welcomed !

Thanks.....Todd ;D

#1) Automax Precision V4
#2) Bounty Hunter TEK
#3) Fisher f4
#4) MD detectors, model MD-2002
#5) Tinytec UltraLuxe Probe
#6) Treasure Mate
#7) Vibra-Probe 560
#8) White's Electronics, Bullseye
#9) Wizard Industries, Wizard Vib-Probe (handgun shaped)

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dear friends,

For those of you who have suggested the Sun Ray (the YF-1 for my Ace250), I'm sure it's a great piece of equipment from what you are telling me and other reports I've read. But I haven't added it to my list for the following personal reasons.

#1) I have arm & shoulder fatigue/soreness problems now (at age 66) swinging the Ace250's 2.7 Lbs., even keeping the coil close to my feet for less strain. So adding more weight to my detector is not appealing. And belt mounting the control box & probe, and having a cord dangling from my belt to the Ace's control box is just something else, in addition to my headphone cord, to get tangled in. I like to be unencumbered and with my tool holster that's enough belt mounted stuff for me ! LOL

#2) The price of $179.95 on the Sun Ray's, like the Treasure Mate @ $179.00, is pushing the cost envelope for me.

#3) I personally like the idea of a pocket model like the others on my list.

I'm glad that the Sun Ray fans are happy with theirs......."to each his own", as the saying goes, or to keep me out of trouble with the ladies...."to each his/her own".....or should it be "to each her/his own"......I don't know dammit ! ;D ;D ;D

HH.........Todd

trapper bob

Mar 22, 2005
mid-michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinshooter 2, Garrett GTA 1000 Ultra, Bounty Hunter Landstar, Bounty Hunter Lonestar
Get it over with and buy a VIBRAPROBE!!!!!!!! I bought mine a few years back and had to buy another because I couldn`t get it away from the wife! LOL We never have had a problem and we never leave home without em.................HH-----Bob ;D

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
trapper bob said:
Get it over with and buy a VIBRAPROBE!!!!!!!! I bought mine a few years back and had to buy another because I couldn`t get it away from the wife! LOL We never have had a problem and we never leave home without em.................HH-----Bob ;D

Thanks Bob !.........I just may go with that one, (the Vibra Probe 560), but I enjoy getting into details and derive satisfaction from doing research projects, so let me have my fun OK ? ;D LOL

Seriously though, I really appreciate your input here. So many positive things have been said on the MD forums about the Vibra Probe models, so I am keeping it in my gunsights !

All the best to you and wife.......keep swinging !

Todd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread