Pinpointing with 10" DD Coil

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it me or is the 10" DD coil very difficult to Pinpoint? I know you pinpoint in a x style, but it seems to always be off just a bit.
Do the other coils pinpoint as bad?

Robbie

Are you trying to pinpoint with the center of coil? Try using the tip or the heel to pin point. When you get a signal, back your coil off completely and simply wiggle your way up to the target using a back and forth motion. By using this method, you don't need to use your PP button.

Here's a vid of the technique. You can for search youtube for more vids.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My DD pinpoints just slightly above the center but it's very accurate. Practice in air a little bit and you will get it.

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a concentric coil because the magnetic field is conical you can just use an x motion. With DD coils because the magnetic field is blade shaped you need to move the coil from side to side over the target. Turn 90 degrees and repeat. This will give you a more accurate pinpoint and help you size the target.

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes it is hard to pin point with that coil.....I never use that coil......

Get the 4x6 its a dream get the 6x10 you will love these two coils for this machine

Why White's puts the 10dd on the machine is beyond me I'm serious get these two coils !!!

Pinpointing is a dream I pop coins out of the ground 99% of the time.
And the 4x6 for gold is unreal as it is for trashy parks etc..... and you can run it full gain.....it goes deep !!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes it is hard to pin point with that coil.....I never use that coil......
An opinion! One I don't share. I find it quite easy to pinpoint with. Just wiggle the tip of the coil (no pinpoint mode) up to the target, turn 90° and repeat. Simple

Get the 4x6 its a dream get the 6x10 you will love these two coils for this machine
Good coils for trashy areas.

Why White's puts the 10dd on the machine is beyond me I'm serious get these two coils !!!
Probably because its half again as deep as the 6x10 & separates as well.

And the 4x6 for gold is unreal as it is for trashy parks etc..... and you can run it full gain.....it goes deep !!
Yeah depth, thats what they're know for. lol

The D2 coil is the monster of the bunch. Easily the deepest of ANY coils mentioned. Period!

6x10 is a great coil too. Make no mistake, it's not going to go as deep as a D2 but is going to be deeper than 4x6 or 5.3. The 6x10 is closed (flat bottom) unlike the D2 which is open (holes on either side of center). This will allow the 6x10 to glide over taller grass, brush and such.

4x6 another great coil. Good for heavily trash areas and hard to get at places. Make no mistake it's NOT a very deep coil compared to D2 or the 6x10 but for it's size it's pretty decent. This is probably my 2nd favorite coil. Great separation, light and easy to swing.

Eclipse 5.3. Nice small concentric coil also used in high trash areas. A lot of people like this over the 4x6. It's probably a bit deeper than 4x6 but I find the 4x6 separates better. It's also another lightweight.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Day 1 with my V3i was today. I took it out in my back yard and tried the pinpoint with the 10" DD. Mine hits it just above the center like people said. After 3 tries on garbage, I was digging a pretty sweet V-cut and predicting where it would be in the plug before I hit it with my ProPointer.

I don' use an X when pinpointing.
I go left to right.... stop and the highest pitch and full bars on the V3i.... then walk 90 degrees and swing left to right that way... and bingo! bullseye!

I detected pretty much 6 days a week last year and anywhere from 4-12 hours every time out. I primarily used my Etrac and AT Pro. Right now, after day 1, I would put the Etrac as a little more accurate (but that was my go-to detector all year) and maybe need a comfort level with the V3i, but the V3i pinpointing I can tell already blows my AT Pro away....

V3i and VX3 both with the 10" DD should be about the same pinpointing...

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The D2 coil will get dimes at 10"+ all day long with some being 12", I use that coil 95% of the time as I'm always just going after the old stuff and don't want to miss any of the deep stuff. There's some parks around that's been detected for 40yrs now and only the deep stuff is left and the 6x10DD wouldn't even tough them, with the D2 I turn the disc. up to 6 to bypass all the trash and run +2 gain(anymore than +2 and it gets a little to much noise to hear the whisper signals) and listen for those whisper targets which is usually a deep wheat or silver dime. HH

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread