✅ SOLVED Pipe tamper looking thingies...

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• P1220007.JPG
    P1220007.JPG
    444.9 KB · Views: 189
  • P1220003.JPG
    P1220003.JPG
    328.5 KB · Views: 254
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone has suggested a "Seal Top Spoon" and they do look correct for that. At least the small one. The larger one has what looks like something iron was affixed to it, so I'm doubtful on that one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are Cloak Hooks, the hooked ends are broken off.:thumbsup:

SS

I looked in the UK Finds Data Base and the small one looks like the seal top spoon. I think the big one is not that, but I couldn't find any reference in a search for a "cloak hook". Do you have any reference to one or does it go by another name over there?

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tend to lean towards them being seal handles, discarded when the seal broke. They are too large for pipe tampers. Colonial times the pipes were MUCH smaller, and these look too big for current pipes.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked in the UK Finds Data Base and the small one looks like the seal top spoon. I think the big one is not that, but I couldn't find any reference in a search for a "cloak hook". Do you have any refere nce to one or does it go by another name over there?
Scroll down Ontario Jim's double gold hunt

SS

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you search Pipe tampers, and check the posts made by Me, Crusader and Shaun, you will see were we joke about them. A common find here.:unhappysmiley:

SS

Upvote 0

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The larger one with the iron is probably a coat hook the other one is a seal top spoon end. And yes they were used as pipe tampers once the spoon broke. I have found many of them, I have yet to find the remainder of the handles or the spoon bowls which leads me to beleave they were not hole spoons discarded in the fields and broken by farm equipment, but used as tampers. HH That is a very old site with finds like that hit that area hard mister and you will be rewarded!!
Broken knee

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, the top of a 17th C spoon.
UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

You confused things with a picture of a clothes hook & this item.

I've already received a the pipe tamper suggestion on Facebook. So is the larger one a spoon handle also? There appears to be iron rusted to the end. What's up with that? Thanks...

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've already received a the pipe tamper suggestion on Facebook. So is the larger one a spoon handle also? There appears to be iron rusted to the end. What's up with that? Thanks...

I just told you, the iron one is a coat hanger & the other is a spoon end.

Upvote 0

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you AquaChigger for posting this find . Thank you , Silversearcher , Brokenknee . and Crusader for the archeology lesson . I also found one on Jan. 12th of this year at one of my earliest sites . I thought it was a cloak hook , Though I had dated it right . I told my wife i thought it was 17th century . Thank you all for the enlightenment . It made my day as I was still unsure about the piece . My third confirmed 17th century find from this site . I can't thank you Pro's enough . M.R. P.S. I am posting a pic of my newly identified find.

Attachments

• IMG_3268-001.JPG
    IMG_3268-001.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 136
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you AquaChigger for posting this find . Thank you , Silversearcher , Brokenknee . and Crusader for the archeology lesson . I also found one on Jan. 12th of this year at one of my earliest sites . I thought it was a cloak hook , Though I had dated it right . I told my wife i thought it was 17th century . Thank you all for the enlightenment . It made my day as I was still unsure about the piece . My third confirmed 17th century find from this site . I can't thank you Pro's enough . M.R. P.S. I am posting a pic of my newly identified find.

No probs, they have caused some confusion in the UK & they have been misidentified on the PAS as pipe tampers. Plus until I knew, I had one broken so it looked like an old chess piece (pawn).

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread