What's new

Pipes--Real or Fake

rocke

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2014
Messages
24
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below are two large pipes that appear to be stone. I did not find these. The are part of a collection bought in the 1020's by a family member and have been in my family since then.

They both look fairly ridiculous to me. Is it possible that they could be real or just bad fakes from the 1920's. I have very little experience but I have not seen any other pipes that look anything like this.

The one square pipe has some very strange scratches/markings on it and a lot of soot inside.

DSC01943.webpDSC01942.webpDSC01944.webpDSC01949.webpDSC01948.webp[

The carved head pipe has the eagle on one side and a bow and arrow on the other side. Again, they seem to be to much of a stereotype to be authentic. And I don't know if the head is a portrait of a native American.

ATTACH=CONFIG]1031522[/ATTACH]DSC01945.webpDSC01947.webpDSC01950.webp

Thanks for all your expertise.
 

Attachments

  • DSC01946.webp
    DSC01946.webp
    144.8 KB · Views: 141
Upvote 0
Being that old they could possibly be Trade Pipes from the late 1800's to early 1900's. More than likely though just early settler types. You know they are at least almost 100 years old since your family got them in 1920. I don't think they are much older than that though.
 
Being that old they could possibly be Trade Pipes from the late 1800's to early 1900's. More than likely though just early settler types. You know they are at least almost 100 years old since your family got them in 1920. I don't think they are much older than that though.

Interesting ideas, thanks.
 
From what I see they have been craved by hand, but Native Americans made items to trade to whites way back. I have never seen a bird done like that and the round designs look just like a wagon wheel with 8 spokes(just what most had) and the squares with the cross marks do look like a flag. Not saying I'm right but just what I see. I do think Reaper is on the right track for sure. They are cool and I would keep them just because they came from family. Thanks posting:thumbsup:
 
Interesting items you have there, they appear to be what we call "Starter pipes" used to train new pipe makers that would account for the disconnected theme of designs on the pipe, different symbols that are not connected in any way, a starter pipe will have crude designs from the student practicing different designs on the same pipe, I am pretty sure this is what you have and it is a great example of a starter pipe, we would use softer stone until we were very good at carving then we would move on to the coveted red catlinite (Red Pipe stone) .
 
Commendations to monsterrack and JRedHorse for practical and informed wise counsel, and congrats. On super find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom