OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
glad to see other ohio people around!!

Para trooper, sorry, dont know him! we do have a lot of great areas and are lucky in some ways! get up this way to visit that friend and someone will take you! let me know and I will although i am sure you could find someone better for the job :o

pickaway! next time you get detecting in columbus, let me know! but what were you doing up that way? your so close to new straitsville and some of those other towns morgans men went through (not to mention all the boot leggin going on at turn of the centurey) must have been a good spot in Columbush huh??

ace, i mostly relic hunt, try to find older places, did pull out a nice indian head penny this year but i scratched it up pretty good, couple of nice silvers....

glad to see everyone chatting under OHIO, going out tomorrow, hope I can add some pictures this weekend, give us all something more to talk about, hope some more post under OHIO!!

Daniel964

Jan 25, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I'm in Columbus and park hunt most of the time. I did get to go to JDs hunt in MO. Ace I may have met you at some point in time. I shop at Gander Mt in Hillard every now and then. With luck I'll be checking a deer in their later today or tomorrow. What area do you work in? Next time I'm their I'll try to find you to say hi.

Daniel

P

pickaway

I work at Cosi.Hunted the field just south of cosi off Town St.
Found 1 Buffalo nickel no date, 53 pennies $3 in quarters 9 dimes 1 nickel.
My hunting buddy found 2 mecury dimes and about 4 bucks in clad.
As far as relic hunting never have i just started looking into the county i live in history and was shocked to learn the was a old schoolhouse right across the street.and many more ghost towns so ive got alot of places to hit but my problem is artifact hunting it seems to win out most of the time.go bucks

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
Pickaway - still pretty new to Columbus and learning my way around, not sure where or what cosi is?? I work out at DESC anywhere close?? I love hunting for old coins and would take them over relics about any day except I dont find many good "keepers" so I call myself a relic hunter ;D I would love to get down by you sometime and hunt around where morgans men came through and yeah... all the ghost towns!

here were are GOOD finds today from old church, didnt take pictures of the trash... figure everyone has seen it before :) my brother found the canadian dime, I found the wheatie

Attachments

• DSC01411.jpg
    DSC01411.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,906
  • DSC01414.jpg
    DSC01414.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,880
  • DSC01420.jpg
    DSC01420.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,869
P

pickaway

Cosi is a science museum located downtown on the West side of the Scioto river.New Striaghtsville is about 60 miles south east of me.And not knowing anyone down that way would be hard to get permission.Which is the problem I'm having now alot of farmers are selling land for houses,I've been run off alot this summer.I think you work over East side defense supply?

OP
OP
buckeyehunter

buckeyehunter

Jan 29, 2005
Lancaster, Ohio
Detector(s) used
e-trac
ooohhh!! cosi! yeah I have even been there , guess I was tired when I read your post and wasnt thinking

I thought you were closer than that to new straitsville area, when i read circleville i thought it was closer than that, went and re-read your post that said between Circleville and ashville, i am guessing your a little farther north.

P

pickaway

Yeah im smack dab in between Ashville & Circleville right by Stages pond state nature preserve.

P

pickaway

Anybody getting out since the weather isnt bad? in the last 2 days about 3 hours hunting ive found close to 8 buks in clad.Hunting at a old motocross/campground.Back to sore to go today.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Yeah hit it for @ an hour buck 19 and a 1951 D wheat loot for the week for the week. I may try again Saturday. Anything now is a bonus considering its December ;D

AceVillav

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Just got back from quick 30min trip add another 65 cents to the horde :D WHOOOO HOOOO :D But $ is $ and allways good to get out !

P

pickaway

Right on Ace! It all adds up i have an old mason jar that i keep all quarters dimes & nickels in its a little over half full of md finds.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Thanks I went back and cleaned out the rest of the spot @ 6 bucks from an old exercise area. looking forward to spring and a group hunt with everyone . might go out tomorrow deopnds on the weather any cool finds this year ?

Acevillav

P

pickaway

Cha ching!As far as finds nothing of value 1 kids watch,old axe head,1 live bullet,3 matchbox cars,couple peices of copper pipes,old medicine bottle,old quart bottle.63,000 poptabs.Did get my first Buffalo nickel no date and my second wheat pennie 1937.

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Hi OH folks. I was born and raised in Mercer county (just a bit northwest of Piqua) and lived in Dayton for a dozen years. Have been living in PA for 10 years, but still get back 'home' often to visit family. I just ordered a DFX and am looking forward to hunting for that sock of silver coins my older brother buried (and never recovered) when he was a kid....

Joe

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Good luck hunting for that stash amigo :D Let us know if you find it !
I used to live in miamisburg close to the mound.

Acevillav.

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Acevillav - will let you know if / when I find that silver hoard my brother lost. It will be a nice surprise to return (part of) it to him after almost 40 years... ;) I also know where the "old farmhouse" used to be - the one that was used by my great-grandparents before they built the 'new' house in 1885 (which I grew up in). I MD'd the old place with my ancient MD 30 years ago, but am looking forward to going back with my new DFX!

I used to live in Miamisburg also (and Centerville and Beavercreek). Do you ever do any detecting around the old Indian burial mounds near "the Mound"? Just watch out for any nuclear fallout from the DOE facility... :o

HH,
Joe

wolfmanjoe3

Dec 28, 2006
Utah
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
We used to find indian artifacts on our farm near Chickasaw, OH. Our dad made us walk the fields each spring to pick up the rocks that grew over the winter ;) We found a lot of arrowheads, at least one 6" spear head, and a rock mortar & pestle set. I don't have any of the pieces - they were all confiscated by my older siblings. :(

There are lots of places in OH where indian tribes had settlements and trails (one trail ran through our farm). Based on my limited research, a lot of those places are not documented. I think one of the best sources of info is disappearing -- our elders. My dad (born in 1918) used to tell stories about the indian trails and settlements that he learned from his father & grandfather. Most of the info he shared isn't in any books or websites I have researched. It would be interesting if anyone would find some helpful folks in their 80s & 90s (old farmers seem to be fountains of knowledge) who would be willing to share their knowledge with TH'ers. I don't get back to OH often enough, but I intend to do so when I get back there later this year.

Happy New Year everyone!
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread