What's new

"Pirate coin"???

diveplam

Full Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2021
Messages
114
Reaction score
258
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse AQ1B, Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello friends. Today is an amazing day for me. I look and I can't believe my eyes. I found a coin that my colleagues are looking for on the other side of the globe. The coin is copper with a silver coating and it is very worn. I think it is "Pirate coin". Please enlighten me.
 

Attachments

  • IMG-c4c9a413ec3bfc8a2ea0482a6030efeb-V_2.webp
    IMG-c4c9a413ec3bfc8a2ea0482a6030efeb-V_2.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG-c005344a68d376dcb329fecec0f9076e-V_2.webp
    IMG-c005344a68d376dcb329fecec0f9076e-V_2.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Where was it found?
 
I found the coin quite by accident while walking with my family on the beach (south of the city of Varna, Bulgaria). The coast is eroding and there are landslides. It was there that I saw the coin in the finger on the ground.
 
The Term would be "Spanish Cob"... instead of "pirate coin"... for this coin was minted by the Spanish.

May i ask what it weighs ? ? ?
 
Last edited:
I think I see Lions & Castles :icon_thumright::occasion14:
 
The Term would be "Spanish Cob"... instead of "pirate coin"... for this coin was minted by the Spanish.

May i ask what it weighs ? ? ?
The coin is Spanish. This is a fact, but the coin is made of copper alloy and is silver-plated. I read on the net that this is an official counterfeit, printed in the Spanish mints.
 
The Term would be "Spanish Cob"... instead of "pirate coin"... for this coin was minted by the Spanish.

May i ask what it weighs ? ? ?
There were.... Spanish Pirates :tongue3::headbang::tongue3:
 
I don't have a jeweler's scale handy, but I'll weigh it and write.
 
If it is silver plated copper then it is a counterfeit, but not from the Spanish mint. The Spanish were very particular about the silver content of their coins and punishment was severe for any mint master who produced coins not up to purity standards.
 
Last edited:
I read on the net that there are such Spanish coins with nominal reales that are made using the "FURE" technique (copper or bronze core stamped with silver foil). They are found under Philip II, Philip III and Philip IV.
 
Last edited:
There was a scandal at the Peru mint at one time when cobs were made from debased silver, but I have never heard of an official Spanish mint making plated coins. As stated, the Spanish took the silver content seriously, the assayers initials were on the coins, this insured that they knew who to go after if there was a problem.
 
10.81 grams !!! Seems heavy for copper or bronze to me.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20221029_160135.webp
    IMG_20221029_160135.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom