Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starts MAY 31, on CBS

Could you do it if it meant a chance to win up to $1 million?

Christa DeAngelo tried.

No word if she succeeded.

The 29-year-old Tamaqua native and former basketball star is part of the 16-member cast of “Pirate Master,” a CBS reality series filmed over 33 days in March and April that will be televised nationally at 8 p.m. Thursdays beginning May 31.

DeAngelo is seventh on the Tamaqua Area High School girls basketball all-time scoring list, with 1,082 points scored during her career from 1991 to 1995.

She is now back home with her daughter Iris, 5, and is contractually unable to speak about her experiences on the reality series until the winner is revealed.

According to her biography on the CBS Web site, DeAngelo attended St. Francis College in Brooklyn and Alvernia College in Reading before joining the Army, where she worked as an administrative assistant. She completed her bachelor’s degree in psychology at Park University in Missouri.

DeAngelo was also named Miss Hawaiian Tropic in 2005 and has had roles as an extra in “The Sopranos,” “The Knights of Prosperity” and a new film, “The Tourist.”

According to the Web site, the contestants sail a three-masted, 179-foot ship around the Caribbean island of Dominica, “risking life and limb” hunting through rugged terrain for clues to a pirate treasure that will total $1 million.

Each week, the “pirates” embark on expeditions where they will decipher clues in search of the missing treasure — gold coins, real money the contestants take with them when the show is over. The pirates will strike deals with each other or plead for long-term security using the coins.

“They are tough,” Mark Brunett, the series creator said in a press release. “The daunting physical demands make Survivor’s challenges look wimpy.”

Thousands of people applied to be part of the show.

“I like her chances,” DeAngelo’s long-time friend, Willie Frantz of Allentown, said Thursday. “She is a great athlete and she has a military background. What is more difficult than military training?”

Frantz said DeAngelo is driven and makes things happen.

“I am impressed with her persistence,” Frantz said. “She is in the best shape of her life right now, she had a chance to do this and she took it.”

DeAngelo’s uncle, Frank Wenzel, wasn’t surprised to hear she was going to be on a reality show.

“I would never put it past her to do something this different,” Wenzel said. “She really thought she would make it right from the start.”

Wenzel said DeAngelo wasn’t able to discuss the show, so he and the other family members will get together to watch when the premiere is televised.

In addition to receiving a large share of the week’s riches, one pirate will become the captain of the ship and will assign roles and chores to the remaining crew members, which may result in law and order or mutiny.

One pirate will be “cut adrift” each week during the Pirate’s Court. In the end, one will be the first to find the largest booty, worth $500,000 and claim the title “Pirate Master.”

“I don’t know how well she did, but she said she was satisfied with the way it ended,” Wenzel said. “We will have to wait and see.”

Frantz said DeAngelo told him the challenge was easier than she thought.

“But she didn’t count on being without deodorant for almost 40 days,” he said.

Some of the other contestants, both male and female, include a musician, a marina owner, a dive master, an auto parts salesman, a district attorney and a scientist/Chippendale dancer.

“She is very smart and I think that will give her the edge over the other contestants,” Franz said. “She trains hard and is the most bull-dogged person I know. Don’t let that blonde hair and pretty face fool you, she is a fierce competitor.”

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I first saw this advertised last night.It may be alright,as long as the scientist slash chippendale dancer didn't win it.That would suck! :D

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
I first saw this advertised last night.It may be alright,as long as the scientist slash chippendale dancer didn't win it.That would suck! :D

This story in our Local News was the First
I heard of it.

I didn't Look to see who the others are,
But I agree without even looking ;D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
people acting and talking like pirates(how many times will ya hear "argh matey")ssssssnnnnnooooozzzzzzzzze :P

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDDEKALB said:
major yawn

bomber said:
people acting and talking like pirates(how many times will ya hear "argh matey")ssssssnnnnnooooozzzzzzzzze :P
LOL,like either of you wouldn't have jumped at the chance to be on this show and go for the gold! :) I agree about the argh matey though,hopefully most of those will be edited out.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if i had the chance,in a crickets heartbeat i would,suvivors enough and thats getting pretty bad.whats next farming for a million?watch as they plow the field looking for a buried cache of a million,when you get eliminated they toss u into pig slop................crap i probably just gave away a zillion $ tv idea.DAMN YOU MARK BERNNET! :D.lets make a bet,how many times do we hear aaaarrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh tonite?i say 16,anybody?

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched it last night....I guess to be fair you have to give it a few weeks to develop the characters. Yau Man should have been on this one...can you see him as the captain with a pirate hat and sword. Would have been hilarious. I'd like to find a chest full of those gold coins though.

Jim

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still can't believe that dreamz guy took the truck

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
HA-HA,he was the first one gone.What a freak! SEEE-YAA! Oh yeah,I think I heard argh matey once.The jury is still out,as jglunt says,give it a few weeks.

ps-Yau man deserved to win Survivor,he was too cool. Dreamz showed his ignorance throughout the game.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF anyone is still watching
it looks like an Episode Will Air tonight TUESDAY
at 10 Eastern
instead of Thursday

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jglunt said:
I didn't care for it after watching for a few weeks. It's too scripted and predictable. The treasure quests are way too easy. I don't think it's going to make it.

Jim

I'm still watching.

it is kind of Lame, BUT

SO FAR they havn't Kicked anyone off
who I am Rooting for.

But the fact they pushed it to 10PM tonight tells
me Ratings are so bad they won't mess
with their Regular 8 to 10 Spots.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I agree it is predictable,but what the heck.The Captain dude with the dreadlocks that has an instant accent when he becomes captain,needs to go! Speaking of treasure quests,I wonder when the next TNET treasure hunt will be? Remember that?

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
The Captain dude with the dreadlocks that has an instant accent when he becomes captain,needs to go!

Yea I want Him to go tonight.

But odds are it will be one of My Favorite 3

Nessa, Laurel, & Christa
Probably in that order.

It's like watching a Train Wreck Though.
I can't Stop.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pirate Master Canceled by CBS

Ratings mean more.

To watch the Next Episode

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/pirate_master/

Click WATCH NOW

Best one Yet in My opinion.

I won't spoil it for those who Are enjoying it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a load of crap, pulling a show in the middle of the season. The networks seem to do this on a regular basis lately.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
What a load of crap, pulling a show in the middle of the season. The networks seem to do this on a regular basis lately.

I can see pulling a Show that each episode ends
each week.

But something that is continued should be finished.

I'm sure they could take an evening &
run the final episodes back to back
if they are in that much of a hurry.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I said on 7/10 that I didn't think it would make it so I didn't get involved with the characters and quit watching early.

Burnett is the godfather of reality shows but we've been beat to death with them and even he can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Survivor is the one and only...and still the best, in my opinion.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread