Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
On Saturday my good buddies Stan, Dan, KMac and I decided another trip to our favorite 17th century trash dump was in order, and we were able to take advantage of some great weather. We focused in a new area, the one where I was able to pull a wine bottle seal dated 1719 at the end of the last dig. Although there was plenty of early glass in this spot, only one of us was fortunate enough to recover another intact seal (see last photo of KMac's unique seal plus a nice spectacle buckle). Everyone dug some goodies, and although my finds weren't earth-shattering, I managed to recover what I originally thought was a hammered copper coin (22mm). However, after Dan providing a major assist on the ID, it was eventually thought to be some sort of 1680s James II token or possibly a jetton, although jettons were on their way out by this time so I'm leaning toward the token theory. I could probably attempt to clean it a little better to enhance some of the details, but decided to only use dry cleaning techniques to avoid any further damage. I have recovered other 17th century tokens before, including one from this site, but this particular example is a first for me. As always, I thoroughly enjoyed the comradery with my friends, and can't wait to get back and give it another shot.

Attachments

• 012718a.jpg
    012718a.jpg
    904.5 KB · Views: 236
  • 012718b.jpg
    012718b.jpg
    910.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 012718c.jpg
    012718c.jpg
    996.8 KB · Views: 162
  • 012718d.jpg
    012718d.jpg
    975.5 KB · Views: 142
  • 012718e.jpg
    012718e.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Upvote 47

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may help you see the "IACOB" a little better (click to enlarge). But I'm still confused about the right facing bust.

View attachment 1543106
I'm stumped.

Unless someone comes up with something better, all I can think of is a mistake. Someone used James name on the Jetton instead of Charles??

Or maybe its not a Jetton after all, but if its a medal/medallion, then it makes no sense copying a British Coin & a German Jetton style.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always exciting to see a round disc in a pit my friend. I’m so happy to see you getting out and enjoying some treasure hunting after putting all of your time into that awesome book last year. You’re off to a very nice start

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds ... Thanks for the great post!!!!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I asked my friend and colonial coin expert Tom Kays to do some checking in an attempt to ID this piece. It took a tremendous amount of research, but the results eventually showed this was a very obscure jetton picturing the coronation portrait of James II (1685-88). The right facing bust was confusing as all James II coinage displayed it facing to the left. The maker is likely Hans Michael Lindner of Nuremberg, and it was produced shortly after the ascension of James II in 1685. The first part of his name ("HM") can be seen on the reverse. Although most of the details on the reverse are obscured, its design consisted of 4 crowned shields arranged as a cross with scepters in between, imitating English gold coins of the period. I believe more details can be brought out with proper cleaning, but the only methods I would trust would likely darken it a bit which would be unacceptable. So I may just leave as is.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked my friend and colonial coin expert Tom Kays to do some checking in an attempt to ID this piece. It took a tremendous amount of research, but the results eventually showed this was a very obscure jetton picturing the coronation portrait of James II (1685-88). The right facing bust was confusing as all James II coinage displayed it facing to the left. The maker is likely Hans Michael Lindner of Nuremberg, and it was produced shortly after the ascension of James II in 1685. The first part of his name ("HM") can be seen on the reverse. Although most of the details on the reverse are obscured, its design consisted of 4 crowned shields arranged as a cross with scepters in between, imitating English gold coins of the period. I believe more details can be brought out with proper cleaning, but the only methods I would trust would likely darken it a bit which would be unacceptable. So I may just leave as is.

Your not joking it was a ''very obscure jetton''. Even the reference in the PM you send had the shorten Obv Legend. What made it tougher was I couldn't read any of the Makers name on the reverse. Plus it not being in the main Jetton 'Bibles'.
Glad you got there in the end & now know its a rare variant.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Your not joking it was a ''very obscure jetton''. Even the reference in the PM you send had the shorten Obv Legend. What made it tougher was I couldn't read any of the Makers name on the reverse. Plus it not being in the main Jetton 'Bibles'.
Glad you got there in the end & now know its a rare variant.

Glad we could finally get to the bottom of things, and again, I really appreciate your time and expertise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread