desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I belong to a local club that owns a claim. This club has had this claim for many years, and acquired it after the old timers had mined it previously, and others after they commercial outfits closed up.
I walked quite a bit of the 160 acre claim, and noted that just about every wash had been worked. Most of the surface nuggets has also been detected by those with gold detectors. In other words, this place has been picked over and over and over.
But I m a stubborn type of person, and I figured, just watching how people ram their puffer and blower drywashers, that some gold was just being blown through them. maybe not much, but some small stuff that never got a chance to settle behind the riffles.
I know many of you would never go to the effort of digging for three to four hours through the tailings in these washes. Again, I'm a bit stubborn, and anyway, I just wanted to have some fun locally, instead of driving 300 miles roundtrip to something that gives a little more for less effort.
I've spent the last three weeks, digging a few times a week along about 30 yards of wash, and have recovered just about a gram of gold. That might not seem like much, but I have only dug up 5 grams, not counting this one gram in almost 20 years out here drywashing in the desert of southern California.
As you would know, things always seem to go wrong. My gas powered blower motor decided it was time for the repair shop, and haven't heard from the shop in two weeks. So I purchased a WORX WG521 corded electric leaf blower to use with my Royal Large drywasher. I'm using a portable generator to provide the power. And it actually is working better than with my old gas powered blower. I have to run the blower on the lowest speed, or I just blow everything through the riffles. Results are very good, as I am getting gold specks so small that I will have to use the Blue bowl in order to recover them.
I'm not only getting a little gold, I'm having some fun, and I am getting a good workout. I've lost 10 pounds since I started. So things are going well.
I'm still digging test holes around the old time hard rock mines in the hope I will find where the gold has drifted downhill below these mines. So far just a couple specks here and there. I figure I just have to move laterally one way or the other before I get something better Of course, I' don't really know if the old timers stripped the hillsides. Even if they have, they apparently aren't as thorough as I am. I hope that I may be lucky and find a larger piece of gold that the old timers, previous placer miners, and detectorists have missed.
Hope everyone is having as much fun as I have been having.

Upvote 47

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used butyl on windows and such and I find it really messy…I was just wondering if flex seal is not as messy…

Thanks for the replies…

I just got a new sluice in that I hope to use someday…That is if I can find a nice spot to set it up at…I have read about a couple of places around here where gold has been found but I am not sure if my body would like it if I tried prospecting at my age…

Only time will tell…It would make a nice gift for some youngster…

Ed T

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking the spray product is also messy. However with tape and paper covering what you don't want to spray in a much thinner layer should make good glue layer and controllable.
I am thinking that maybe I should just stick to collecting specimens and forget about other things…I have found more enjoyment in just having fun with it as a hobby and I have never earned a dime at it…Though I am pretty darn sure I could do rather well at it if I did so choose too…

Ed T

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may find that more digging has been done since 20 - 25 years ago.
Nothing like the Easter egg hunt factor of tying to find targets.
Hobby level is less stressful for sure.
I will always wonder IF I found a paragon diamond near Reno…And I wonder IF the person I gave it to will become more famous than the Dutchman with the passage of time…

I too will wonder IF I have been to the end of the trail, Santa Fe???

Who can say for certain exactly where I have been and what other destinations remain for me to travel to???🤪

Ed T

Last edited:

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 2520964A-FEE9-40BB-9BC3-E014047320E7.png
    2520964A-FEE9-40BB-9BC3-E014047320E7.png
    122 KB · Views: 23

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good points there and thankyou for pointing out:-)

If you can not start seeing the values there may not be much there. With a gold pan / screens you have a better chance of at least finding some colors to start with.
I’m sure that everyone here knows the old saying “gold is where you find it”…There are those times where no matter how hard we try to find it, it just seems to remain elusive…

Ed T

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tips above is one of the best ways to start looking at the rocks. Events are important.
A good Eastwing rock pick and loupe are pretty handy as well…I used to carry a hand microscope as well…

Maybe one day I will break down and splurge for a saruca…

I consider this a poor man’s Saruca…

Ed T

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
John, It's not like I'm not trying. But so far I don't even find heavy materials like magnetite/black sands.

Consider that I've only been looking for a little over a month. It takes time.

I do have all the tools I need. I do not need to buy anything else right now. I just need weather to cooperate, and time.

Go out and buy your equipment like that Saruca. Amazon sells them. One costs $60, and gets good reviews.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, It's not like I'm not trying. But so far I don't even find heavy materials like magnetite/black sands.

Consider that I've only been looking for a little over a month. It takes time.

I do have all the tools I need. I do not need to buy anything else right now. I just need weather to cooperate, and time.

Go out and buy your equipment like that Saruca. Amazon sells them. One costs $60, and gets good reviews.
One thing I have learned while prospecting in arid regions is that rain is your friend…Black sands are so much easier to spot after a good rain…All that one needs to do is keep an eye peeled for where the rain drains and look to see if black sands are visible in the drainage channels…You might be surprised, IF there are black sands in the area…During or after a good downpour is the best time to chase black sands and their origins…

Good luck…

Ed T

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One thing I have learned while prospecting in arid regions is that rain is your friend…Black sands are so much easier to spot after a good rain…All that one needs to do is keep an eye peeled for where the rain drains and look to see if black sands are visible in the drainage channels…You might be surprised, IF there are black sands in the area…During or after a good downpour is the best time to chase black sands and their origins…

Good luck…

Ed T
Think of the drainage area as one big pan for you to dig into. If you don't find much colors then move on to another area.

Looking at larger rock is a different game as nature likely kicked it there by some events etc.

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I may return to that small mountain, and just start walking round it, slowly gathering a few half buckets at each wash, and running it through my dry washer. I guess I'll take five gallons of water, and pan it out. Maybe in a couple of trips, I can complete a survey of this little mountain.

If nothing, I'll look at my USGS maps, and pick another location. Once the heats on this year, I will only work at night, early morning, so prospecting will wait until it cools down again.

I only have a couple more years of mining in me, so I will have to hope I get lucky.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I may return to that small mountain, and just start walking round it, slowly gathering a few half buckets at each wash, and running it through my dry washer. I guess I'll take five gallons of water, and pan it out. Maybe in a couple of trips, I can complete a survey of this little mountain.

If nothing, I'll look at my USGS maps, and pick another location. Once the heats on this year, I will only work at night, early morning, so prospecting will wait until it cools down again.

I only have a couple more years of mining in me, so I will have to hope I get lucky.
At least you still have a couple years of mining left in you…

On my last trip to Mexico, it was during the rainy season and my prospecting amigo’s son gave me a beautiful specimen…I was saddened when it was taken from me at the airport…

I do hope that you find an area that produces results…

It was still a nice trip…

Ed T

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm kind of wondering if one of those large neodymium magnets with a metal loop through it with a rope would be easier to pick up magnetite/black sands? I know people use these to drag the bottoms of rivers, lakes, and other shallow waters, but am wondering if they might be useful prospecting.

I am just guessing that you dragged it for a few feet, and came up with a lot of magnetics that maybe that might be a place to dig some buckets to run through the dry washer. Conversely, if you just got a small amount of heavies, you just pass by, and to to the next wash.

Of course, with my luck, all I'll come up with are peoples junk. :-)

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kind of wondering if one of those large neodymium magnets with a metal loop through it with a rope would be easier to pick up magnetite/black sands? I know people use these to drag the bottoms of rivers, lakes, and other shallow waters, but am wondering if they might be useful prospecting.

I am just guessing that you dragged it for a few feet, and came up with a lot of magnetics that maybe that might be a place to dig some buckets to run through the dry washer. Conversely, if you just got a small amount of heavies, you just pass by, and to to the next wash.

Of course, with my luck, all I'll come up with are peoples junk. :-)
I’m pretty sure black sands are everywhere…IF you get a scoop of dirt from your yard and place a magnet in it black sands will stick to the magnet…The main problem is that not all black sands are gold bearing…IF such were the case, everyone would be out scooping up gold and it would be worthless…

Ed T

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’m pretty sure black sands are everywhere…IF you get a scoop of dirt from your yard and place a magnet in it black sands will stick to the magnet…The main problem is that not all black sands are gold bearing…IF such were the case, everyone would be out scooping up gold and it would be worthless…

Ed T
Oh I know, but as a tool, a magnet will pick up only what is available in that asrea. Not all areas have the exact same amount of black sand. The magnet, as a prospecting tool would tell you where the greater concentrations are.

That doesn't mean there will be gold there because there's lots of black sand, but it tells you the better places to dig, without wasting your time digging every x number of feet.

I'm going to give it a try along some inside bends of the larger washes.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ed T
The problem is not everyone has the equipment to recover sub-micron gold or other precious metal from concentrates.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is not everyone has the equipment to recover sub-micron gold or other precious metal from concentrates.
As you mentioned in your other thread you can always use Mercury as most old timers did…

And add one of these…

I have always considered it a possibility…I remember playing with it as a child…

Ed T

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you mentioned in your other thread you can always use Mercury as most old timers did…

And add one of these…

I have always considered it a possibility…I remember playing with it as a child…

Ed T
Mercury won't get it out of the black sands.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mercury won't get it out of the black sands.

I think I’d prefer one of these over a copper plate…You could probably even pan your cons once you have the bottom coated with mercury….

Ed T

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the gold isn't clean it won't stick to mercury. Mercury is dangerous stuff if used improperly, I don't feel it wise to casually recommend it on the internet. Also gets the ire of environmentalists. I don't get why you guys keep bringing up the microscopic disseminated gold, it is of no interest to a small operator. There is no way to make wages on that stuff on a small scale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread