What's new

Places I go.

lesjcbs

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2011
Messages
880
Reaction score
340
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello: My name is Les.

I am going to post many pictures here in this thread of my treasure hunting trips during this 2018 year. I will not tell you where these places are or I would have to shoot ya :laughing7::tongue3::occasion14::icon_scratch::headbang::dontknow::icon_thumright::hello2::laughing9::wave:. Just know I went to these places.

So, first things first. This first few picture are of our dog Ginger. She is my treasure hunting buddy. She likes to chase rabbits and always comes back. She is very smart, trained to stay away from rattle snakes when she sees, smells, or hears them. She is chipped, medically insured, and inoculated against snake poison. The inoculation would buy us time to get her to a veterinarian if she messed up..

I have trained her to smell out gold but that has yet to be tested. S5300696.webpS5300695.webp
 

Attachments

  • S5300662.webp
    S5300662.webp
    830.1 KB · Views: 93
  • S5300661.webp
    S5300661.webp
    790.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Nice shots of a good breed of dog..mutt.:laughing7:

Go get it Ginger.

GOD Bless

Chris
 
Trees in the desert. I think they are some kind of fruit trees and for sure are not indigenous to this area . This area is where a stage coach stop and Inn was from about 1850 to the 1920's. This particular spot had several small building foundation which are pictured later.
 

Attachments

  • 071.webp
    071.webp
    691.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Pictures of an old stage coach stop and inn building foundations.
These foundations are quite small so I think they were buildings to keep supplies or small things in them, like saddles, bridles. or harnesses etc. I believe the Inn building was about 300 yards south of here. Picture of that to follow.

This was a regular stop for Wells Fargo Stage Coaches and other company cargo wagons and teams. The Curly Wolf Outlaw Gang operated in this area and often shot up the place, forced the Inn keepers wife to cook meals for them, harassed stage coach passengers by making them drink the Inn's whiskey with them, took their guns from them and shot them emptied etc, and made a general nuisance of themselves. But, all the violence came to a stop around 1881 when the Gang leader, pictured here, was killed in Wyoming by his father-in-law who bashed his brains out with a pitman arm from a mower. Notice his chaps. Those are made from Wolf skins.

BTW, the term "Curly Wolf" was a name in the 1800's given to one who when they got drunk, became very violent. This guy and his gang were very violent when they got drunk.

It was quite a story as to how I found his picture. That is what research does for ya. I like things like this.
 

Attachments

  • S5303027.webp
    S5303027.webp
    225.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 079.webp
    079.webp
    892.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 078.webp
    078.webp
    976.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 077.webp
    077.webp
    885.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 076.webp
    076.webp
    981.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 074.webp
    074.webp
    931.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
nice pics pretty dog i would go swing a coil at that foundation
 
nice pics pretty dog i would go swing a coil at that foundation
Well, dumb old me, when I took those pictures, I was looking for .45 bullet casing around the area. I never thought of scanning the foundation. But, it is too late now. I go there several times a year and in the mean time, someone bought the property, dug it up and put a new fence around it with red no trespassing signs every where. There are other foundations in the area and I will check them out. I am going there tomorrow, June 1, 2018 to scan other places in the area.
 
Ready for tomorrows hunt. I am making progress in getting rid of that gut.
 

Attachments

  • S5303019.webp
    S5303019.webp
    525.3 KB · Views: 101
  • S5303021.webp
    S5303021.webp
    519.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Wish the dog my wife picked up was that good.
 
Wish the dog my wife picked up was that good.
Thanks for the compliment. Man i'm telln ya, she is smart. We got.her when she was 8 weeks old. She will be 2 yrs old this coming August. She was born on a cattle ranch near us.
 
Man, I like this. It's like going on the hunt with you. Thanks.
 
OK, here we go. We are on our way.

There is gold in them thar hills partner.

Let's stay in this here hotel on the left for the night.

When we get up in the morn, we can pick up our supplies and hardware at that old general store on the right. Prices should be pretty low.

After we have found our fortune in them thar yonder hills, we can come back here, and catch the next train going west to caleefornia.
 

Attachments

  • S5303031.webp
    S5303031.webp
    494.6 KB · Views: 77
  • S5303032.webp
    S5303032.webp
    147.4 KB · Views: 76
  • S5303033.webp
    S5303033.webp
    566.7 KB · Views: 77
The hotel and General Store pic is very cool!
 
Up the street a ways, is this old "Last Chance Saloon." This is the real deal. No Hollywood.
 

Attachments

  • S5303034.webp
    S5303034.webp
    482.9 KB · Views: 80
  • S5303087.webp
    S5303087.webp
    364.1 KB · Views: 77
Here I just turned onto the old stage coach road, looking west across a dry wash. On the other side of the wash are some old foundations hidden in the sage brush. The road here is rough and I had to drive very slowly. One can only imagine what it must have been like in a stage coach back in the day. But, maybe it was not so rough with the largre wheels and clearance height they had.

There are three foundations in the next few pictures. The hole could be where an out-house was for the inn. I also found lots of trash laying around this area. It is about 50 yards away and across the road from the larger foundation. The foundation next to the hole, I have no idea to guess on what it might have been.

The place where I parked my truck is just off the road in an open area that is free of sage brush. Maybe it was where the horses and stage stopped to let passengers off to go into the inn to freshen up from a long dusty ride.
 

Attachments

  • S5303035.webp
    S5303035.webp
    537.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I don't know what kind of buildings were on these foundations. I stepped off the large foundation; 10 X 15 steps. The rock sitting on top of the foundation is next to what looks like where a door was. In one spot there was can rusting in the sun and other junk. Being a border collie breed, Ginger always looks for shade. Here she is in the shade under the truck. The open space next to the drivers side has no sage brush. It looks like it could have been the spot where possibly the stage stopped. The foundation is only a few yards away. I did not try to measure the hole but it is probably about 5' X 5' square. Could be where an our house was at one time. It was about 4 ft deep and did not go down into it. There is barb wire wrapped around the post and all over this place and long strands of it in the near by hill. Next time I go back, I will get a piece of it and have it dated.

I found several horse shoes and one mule shoe in the hills near these foundations. The mule shoe was "V" shaped. I had it dated by a farrier who said it was most likely made sometime in the 1920"s. He said in those days and before, they fitted the shoes to the animal while today they fit the animal to the shoe.
 

Attachments

  • S5303036.webp
    S5303036.webp
    651.4 KB · Views: 79
  • S5303037.webp
    S5303037.webp
    642.9 KB · Views: 72
  • S5303038.webp
    S5303038.webp
    652.4 KB · Views: 83
  • S5303039.webp
    S5303039.webp
    554.6 KB · Views: 78
  • S5303040.webp
    S5303040.webp
    541.2 KB · Views: 71
  • S5303041.webp
    S5303041.webp
    570.6 KB · Views: 75
  • S5303042.webp
    S5303042.webp
    534.2 KB · Views: 79
  • S5303043.webp
    S5303043.webp
    506.5 KB · Views: 89
  • S5303044.webp
    S5303044.webp
    605 KB · Views: 84
  • S5303045.webp
    S5303045.webp
    573.2 KB · Views: 68
  • S5303046.webp
    S5303046.webp
    635.4 KB · Views: 77
  • S5303047.webp
    S5303047.webp
    878 KB · Views: 79
  • S5303048.webp
    S5303048.webp
    651.6 KB · Views: 77
  • S5303049.webp
    S5303049.webp
    537.6 KB · Views: 90
  • S5303050.webp
    S5303050.webp
    546.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Last Chance Saloons sprang up along borders of dry counties.
 
These next four pictures are of the trees I wrote about earlier. They are about 1/2 mile from the foundations. Maybe someone can identify what kind of trees they are. At this point, I turned around and went back to the foundation area, then on to the area I was interested in that is up in the foot hills.
 

Attachments

  • S5303051.webp
    S5303051.webp
    666.2 KB · Views: 74
  • S5303052.webp
    S5303052.webp
    620.1 KB · Views: 73
  • S5303053.webp
    S5303053.webp
    502.7 KB · Views: 83
  • S5303054.webp
    S5303054.webp
    506.8 KB · Views: 73
These next set of pictures are going back to the foundation area. The first I meant to be the last of these four as it shows the intersection where the stage coach or cargo wagons would turn to go either east or west.S5303058.webpS5303055.webpS5303056.webpS5303057.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom