Places to Hunt near Utica NY

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Hello all... I am heading up to Utica, actually New Hartford, New York for a couple of days... anyone have any recommendations for a place to hunt? Any locals want to take me to a great spot ;-) I have been MD'ing in Northern Virginia for 15+ years.. prime Civil War areas. I would be glad to put together a nice selection of finds.. some buttons.. bullets etc.. if anyone is interested in an exchange. I have one family house to hunt that has the legand of a previous owner burying gold coins in the yard!! Ahhh.. right!! This has been the story for years but I usually go up at Christmas.. so this being the first time I will have some time to dig I'll hit that.... but I have no faith in the story! I'll be in NY Sunday through midweek. What I would really like to do I find a place to hunt for arrowheads with my two sons.. 6 and 9. Any ideas??

Thanks,
MonkeyBoy

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey monkyboy,wish i could help ya as I'm not far from Utica.I'm real busy with work though but you might want to look for farms along the rivers and ask permission.It's kind of early to look for artifacts as the corn needs to be cut,but you may be able to get permission to search the edges and between rows.Good luck and have a good one !

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
kieser sousa said:
Hey monkyboy,wish i could help ya as I'm not far from Utica.I'm real busy with work though but you might want to look for farms along the rivers and ask permission.It's kind of early to look for artifacts as the corn needs to be cut,but you may be able to get permission to search the edges and between rows.Good luck and have a good one !

True... any place better then the others? Like a certain area know to produce a lot of points? I asked my wife's aunt about it once.. and the response was something like.. "Are there Indian arrowheads around here?" ;-) So.. none of the people I know up there are of much help.

Thanks for the advice!!!
MonkeyBoy

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe contact the historical society or one of the colages.If all else fails though look for a likely spot and ask the landowner.Most of the country folks around these parts will talk your ear off about such things ! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread