beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friend and detecting buddy Smittyman and I have begun planning our trip to where I grew up in upstate New York this fall. We plan on spending 5 days doing nothing but eating, sleeping, and metal detecting....not in that order.

So I have begun trying to set up some good possible sites to hunt well in advance so we have plenty of places to swing our coils. Today I called my brother in laws sister. She and her husband purchased a Victorian mansion (built in 1812) about 5 years ago and after much renovation opened up their bed and breakfast. The house was originally owned by one of the largest steam/paddle wheel boat owners on the Hudson River. He had a fleet that travelled from NYC up to Albany. I didn't know you could go that far but that's what I've been told. The property is 5 acres and goes all the way down to the Hudson River. She told me she has found several places where she's seen old bottles, bricks, and other trash. The house that used to sit on the property was built in 1751 and was torn down and this one built right in the same spot. So who knows how old the trash dumps might be.

I have a first cousin who recently purchased two early 1800s houses that he will be renovating and I'm going to be calling him to see if we can hunt the properties. There are several parks in town that opened from between 1890 and 1908 so although probably hunted hard there might still be some goodies left.

Another plus is that an old high school buddy of mine is the Mayor of my hometown. So I'm hoping to get a "go anywhere" pass from him but we'll see. I haven't talked to or seen him since 1971........LOL

Now, neither of us have ever hunted/detected for any Civil War artifacts or relics and would very much love to do so. So if anyone is feeling in a generous mood and would entertain taking two basically rookie hunters out to see if we can find a bullet or two please do let me know. We'll buy lunch or dinner. Our route will take us up Interstate 81 through VA and PA

Anyway, although only several months away it seems like forever till we head up north. I'm hoping to find time to get out and get more experience so I can take advantage of the good places we might get to hunt while up there.

Happy Hunting!

Jay

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering where in NY you're from. Most if not all town parks along the Hudson have been well hunted for years, but your access to private property will be your best bet. If the property your sister has is wooded it should be OK, but if it is grassy field you'd do better now while all the grass is matted down from the snows. It is very hard to swing in tall field grass, most of us around here do our field hunting now before the tall grass grows back up. Good luck when you get up here!!

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'm not sure how precise I should be answering your question. But if you were to drive through Saugerties you would see the house where I lived as a child. The property my sisters-husbands- sister owns is a total of 5 acres. The manicured lawn around the house and the rest is wooded. I'm deathly afraid of snakes so you won't catch me in tall grass in the summer. Just last week I held down a snake with my coil while I whacked off it's head with my Lesche tool. Only after it was dead did I look to see what kind of snake it was. Turned out to be an inner tube from a bicycle. But I surely did kill it!!!!!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the tall grass will still be there in the fall. Sorry to hear about your snake phobia, remember it's against the law to kill timber rattlers here in NYS. I know the town schools and parks in Saugerties have been well detected, but it is a nice old area, you may find some real oldies. Have a great hunt!!

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I weigh my options (abide by the law or die of a snake bite) a timber rattler will likely die if it's too near to me. A gentleman down here in NC was bitten recently by a copperhead. Rushed to the hospital where he was saved only to receive (I was told) a bill for over $50,000 for medical expenses. I can't afford that kind of bill and don't want to die. I guess if I got bit I could kill the snake and turn myself in to the authorities so they could pay my medical bills.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread