signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course not working like I wanted, which i figured but tried it anyway. So needs some work. Okay, needs a lot of work. Hardware and firmware and a brain to get it to work, so pretty much lacking on all fronts. LOL Gonna change the tuner (I had a fine tuner but replaced because it was scratchy) and I guess that will help a lot. This might all sound like bad news, but I'm getting some enthusiasm back. And at least for now I have scaled back some of my monumental plans. Basically I feel like some of the fancy bells and whistles I had planned are just not needed. One thing at a time and so far haven't got that but I got a glimpse of it.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to see you hanging in there SL. :occasion14:

Consider that Edison, Marconi, Tesla.... and every other great
inventor of a new technology had their own issues getting their
prototypes to function as designed.

Just like the above mentioned gent's, others may not understand the
technology you are developing, but that's not what's important...what
is important is that, like them, you understand what you're doing. When
you understand the subject, believe in the product you are developing
and are honest with your assessments of your progress, then success is
only a matter of time.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the encouragement. Tesla didn't go crazy until AFTER he invented a bunch of stuff. LOL

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mounted the receiver antenna on a stand with a motor so it sweeps back and forth. All this hands-free. So slowly I am removing the human factor. Still have to turn it on and still have to listen for the signal, but really is hands-free. I consider this a milestone in my journey. Not that it's my idea. Like they say about music writers--the new writers borrow but the old ones steal. So I don't know which because I never even saw the other locator, but sooner or later I am going to have to say I am not new at this.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I had it working good but not quite yet. So more hardware design. Other stuff going on elsewhere that has slowed my progress down to less than it already was. One thing after another. Got a real string of rough luck going, and most all of it has nothing to do with the contraption. Like that Frank Sinatra song "That's Life", "If something isn't jumping by July, I'm gonna roll myself up in a big ball and cry. My, my."

I'm learning as I go and at least I see the areas that need work. Now I just need the motivation to get working on it, but the other stuff has left me emotionally drained, burnt out. And still not done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting to feel like I might be able to pull myself up by my bootstraps. Need to redo the motor drive. Just money and time and patience. Have none of the above. LOL

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just too many complications with the latest "hands-free" modifications so I took it apart back to what it was. Really haven't had time or motivation to mess with it right now. Feel like I don't need any more hassles so this one can wait til next Winter.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to explain, but the motor drive antenna is just not as sensitive and at this point it is not any easier to use. Actually more trouble and nit-picky. "...and one day the ax just fell."

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to hit on my test target with the motor driven antenna, but it is difficult to get tuned just right and the sensitivity is not there. Just feel relieved this one is on the shelf for now. It all sounded so easy. Kinda like an automatic metal detector that swings by itself. Sure, it can be done, just more PITA and I don't feel like dealing with it until off-season.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just been tearing everything down and back to the way it was last Fall. (Puke icon here). All the stuff I have been working on over the Winter needs more work and I don't feel like giving it any of my attention right now. I don't even like having to do this. LOL But for sure I need to find something with it before i think of ever putting it on the market. I just wonder how many LRL pushers ever find anything with the crap they sell.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the contraption back together and working. I don't know what version it is, but most the same as I had last Fall but a few differences. One of these times I'm going to learn my lesson and leave the thing alone.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still holding out hope I am going to find some goodies if i ever get out to do some hunting. Pretty sure I need to change my hunting technique from last Fall, and some other things I was just in too big a hurry to do right seeing how i was in panic mode at the time.

Yeah, feel a whole lot more at ease now I am not fiddling with the Contraption. Of course in the back of my mind I have my doubts and pretty sure more work is needed, but not now.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I bit off way more than I can chew with the Contraption project. Not the locator itself so much, just all the other stuff it takes to get a product to market. That's why I have been talking about trying to find an investor--someone to take the load off my shoulders. I ain't asking for sympathy or for someone to give me a "Pity Party". Just send money. LOL To save paper work, only accepting minimum amount of $50,000USD. Yeah, been lowering my standards, wanted $100k but no takers. So this is a bargain. Okay, quit laughing before you pass out.

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the words of W.C. Fields: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it."

See, the problem with asking people to invest in a magic treasure finder is that they know it doesn't work - or you wouldn't have to ask.

No hope there.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got another one of my Wile E. Coyote ideas. What about a SRL (Short Range Locator)? You know kinda like the same range as a metal detector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, maybe MRL, Micro Range Locator. Nobody with any vision around here? Don't you see how much better than a conventional metal detector that would be?

CharlieNY, i don't quite understand your line "No hope here". You don't have any hope? or I don't have any hope? "Where there's life, there is hope" maybe be changed to "Where there is life AND MONEY..." LOL Or is it "Her Mother said she had no chance. No chance." I think you might be intelligent enough to see I have been downplaying the Contraption because i don't want to build up unreasonable expectations like every other LRL.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, I can't help myself. I went back in to do more work on the software for the FSC to eliminate some interference. I found some helpful info so now I just have to figure out how to get it programmed. Yeah, more Wile E. Coyote "fixing". LOL My track record on this project is not too good, so i guess i better get this one right and earn some saving grace. Anyway, I feel like I am on the right track. Looks good on paper. LOL Bunch of stuff going on right now so it could be a while. Will soon know if I have more surgery coming up. I lose track how many I've had. Four or five surgeries since last Fall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it programmed and initial testing seems weaker signal. Will do some outdoor testing tomorrow but not too excited with it right now.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't fail, I just found another way that doesn't work. Sounded nice. Uh oh, just got another idea. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread