What's new

Player Piano tag?

digdeep38

Greenie
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I just uncovered a tin tag with a Treble Clef (for those of you who don't know music, it looks similar to a dollar sign, only a little different), inscribed in it is "Standard Player Action." Below that are patent numbers, but when I search those, nothing comes up that would describe this "tag." I did a search of "Standard Player Action" and it brought me to a player piano. The site I was digging at is an old abandonded foundation of an early 1900's house. I will try to get some pics to post here shortly. Anyone know if this is from any particular brand of player piano or were these tags standard on most of them?
 
What are the patent numbers?
 
Upvote 0
Here is a pic
 

Attachments

  • pianotag2.webp
    pianotag2.webp
    43.9 KB · Views: 304
  • pianotag2.webp
    pianotag2.webp
    43.9 KB · Views: 279
  • pianotag2.webp
    pianotag2.webp
    43.9 KB · Views: 288
Upvote 0
Ill search the others when I get time. At least you know how old it is. Patents were only good for about 10-12 years. 1904-1916 my guesstimate.
 

Attachments

  • patent piano 1904.webp
    patent piano 1904.webp
    128.6 KB · Views: 279
Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. This place that I've found is really quite interesting. There's an old foundation, which I assume to be early 1900's. There's old stuff lying everywhere like an old Ford car axles, hay rake and many other farming tools. The barn is still standing, but just barely. It looks like if you blew on it, it would topple over. I know this place is old because I found an old manure spreader (circa 1906) that has a tree growing into one of the wheels. I'll try to post a pic. It's been an amazing place so far. It's right in the middle of the woods with no roads leading to any main road. Today, I uncovered a well that was partially covered by a tree, and partially covered by large stones, that look like they had purposely been placed on there a long time ago. When I opened it up, it was filled with water and lots of trash.
 

Attachments

  • wierdtree2.webp
    wierdtree2.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 277
Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
That's cool, thanks. You are awesome!! I also found out there is an interesting story surrounding the patent of this pianola. Supposedly there was some issue with who actually patented the thing, and whether someone stole the gentleman's idea to patent it before he could get it patented. It' really quite interesting. I LOVE HISTORY!!!
 
Upvote 0
I dont see the Treble Clef however. On the bottom resembles a Lyre.
 
Upvote 0
digdeep38 said:
I thought that "S" shaped thing at the top was called a treble clef???
Yes, you said that, sorry what I mean is I cannot find another example of this STANDARD PLAYER ACTION clef logo on an old Autopiano.

The picture is very dark. You need to take the picture in daylight with a darker background (not white) so you camera lens can auto adjust. I dont know if this helps.
 

Attachments

  • pianotag2.webp
    pianotag2.webp
    39.3 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom